More dead boring stuff
Remember I spoke about my Canadian mate who decided my coffin was more of a use to him than myself.
Well I decided to make another one to house my router bits, but being a bit cunning decided to make two of them this time, so if he spots it I can present him with his own casket.
So the Twin Casket project commenced, now its not finished so I cannot post it as a project yet, but will do.
In fact I wasn’t even going to advertise it until I read about other LJs doing veneering and wanting some pointers.
Being as I went through the same process, and made heaps of mistakes on the way I thought it may be of interest even only as a reference/contact.
P.S. There has to be lots of LJs better than me so it may generate both positive and negative comments. (which from what I know are mainly just “I would not do it that way” rather than incorrect)
This is the current progress
This is a shot of the side veneer being attached, I could have done it as individual sections in the press first then trimmed it later, but was confident it “wood”, tee hee turn out OK.
Here is a shot of the lid and casket body being tested for fitness for purpose.
A slight digression, as this blog is about veneering anyway,
These two tables were my first attempt a veneering to make something and to be able to use it, I did lots of trial runs.
Unfortunately I made them when it was so wet in Brisbane, went on for weeks, you may have heard about the flooding !
Even though I had them in a press overnight, upon removal and normalising (correct spelling by the way!) the veneer has bubbled up to an extent almost ruining all my work, the oven dried them to an acceptable level however you may see some evidence of bubbling.
I had to put the panels in my wife’s oven in an attempt to dry them out.
Be aware This is one of the most disappointing aspects that can occur when doing veneer work, but with a bit of research and cunning can be overcome.
Why is the frog there? well I tried to repair some bubbling by patching, it was my first attempt and didnt do a trial run, guess what the repair was very amateurish.
I made all the inlay edging trim, another really rewarding task if you have the patience yet another task whilst it was so wet!
This is the clamp press I used, its a piece of laminated bench top inverted and bolted together with the veneer in between, a word of caution use only hand tightening and similar sequence to doing wheel nuts/cylinder head bolts. Otherwise see the red jagged line? I used a spanner and didn’t check for distortion
The Vac Bag press at work
A shot of the three casket lids prior to veneering them, why is there three the smaller one was a prototype to see if I had the skills to do what I had imagined I could. A bit out of sequence i know. (still learning the blogs)
Here is the TC Lid just out of the Vacuum press both concave and convex curves tested it to the limit. Have a close look and you will see some “dimpling” this is common with the separation mesh supplied, and can be prevented by replacing it with using Expanded Polyethylene (EPE) Sheeting, however like most dings in wood it will come out using heat and moisture.
I had to re-glue some spots, looks like I missed a couple of areas rather than the Vac press failing
Note: A lot of the work “Degoose” does, AKA lazy Larry although not veneering as such , its more Parquetry Marquetry from what I see when I visit is the same construction process and the same attention to detail required so hit him up some time with your questions too !!
So in summary you can have some fun with Veneer and inlay work.
-- Regards Robert