LumberJocks

Tool Restoration #6: ST 12 H Restoration Complete...wait there is more.

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by robscastle posted 01-07-2017 01:15 AM 876 reads 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 5: ST 12H Restoration Complete Part 6 of Tool Restoration series Part 7: Old Hand Saw New Handle »

Well just when I thought the restoration of this saw was complete!

I was busy working my new 13YO table saw when it started to rain, so scuttling off inside I went.

The rain now turned my attention to something different, The dodgy Rip Fence it had.

As you can see there is a bolt missing from the front and rear clamps, not realising the importance of these bolts I simply G Clamped the rear of the fence to the table at 90 deg to prevent it moving.

I decided to replace the bolts, just to see if it made any difference.
Both the threads were stripped out, hence it explains why they were missing.
So I retapped them out to 12mm upped the bolts to 12mm and tightened everything up again.

I then re tested it for movement, it still moved at the back! (that was a waste of time I thought)

So with my hand over the rear section wondering what to do next I worked the locking cam at the front the rear clamp did did move at all, odd I thought, so investigating further I saw a hole in the casting at the back so as every male would do poked my finger in, ...to my surprise I felt some thing springy.

So off with the fence again and upon upending it I saw what looked like a spring loaded locking lever.

Checking the front cam operated lever I determined that there was something missing inside the rip fence.
Right about where you can see a shiny threaded rod now!

So off to the PC to find out more about this wobbly fence, rats nothing at all available anywhere, so I searched a few forums and found a reference to a Craftsman saw fence.

Checking it out this is what I found

Arr ha…. All was now revealed, there is even more parts missing, so I need to make some sort of actuating rod, so setting to work using a bit of threaded rod I came up wirh this fix.

The front

The rear

Bingo no more play and locks right on 90 deg everywhere!! I am beginig to like this saw even more!

For your knowledge and interest.

-- Regards Robert



4 comments so far

View patron's profile

patron

13561 posts in 2948 days


#1 posted 01-07-2017 01:26 AM

after all this fixing
you will be able to stick your finger in the ‘to do list’ again
new tools
new skills

those is some good tools you got
glad they are working

enjoy

-- david - only thru kindness can this world be whole . If we don't succeed we run the risk of failure. Dan Quayle

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

9667 posts in 3659 days


#2 posted 01-07-2017 05:08 AM

Thank God for Rain! :) LOL

Sure makes a difference doesn’t it? :)

-- Have Fun! Joe Lyddon - Alta Loma, CA USA - Home: http://www.WoodworkStuff.net ... My Small Gallery: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?ppuser=1389&cat=500"

View crowie's profile

crowie

1714 posts in 1558 days


#3 posted 01-07-2017 09:45 AM

That’s another fine engineering maintenance job sir. Well done.

-- Lifes good, Enjoy each new day...... Cheers from "On Top DownUnder" Crowie

View Roger's profile

Roger

20594 posts in 2411 days


#4 posted 01-11-2017 01:47 PM

You’re doing a mighty fine job with the re-birth

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Keep your dust collector fed. Kentuk55@yahoo.com

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com