Been working on this a couple months, now. Its a reproduction of an old Thomas Molesworth design. Made of poplar with a birch plywood carcase. Routed out the “worm tracks” , and also the designs on the drawers and door panels. I got a full elk horn from a guy on ebay, and made drawer and door pulls out of it. These will go on last, of course. Finished with several coats of Vermont Maple waterbased stain, a couple coats of clear sanding sealer, then several coats of clear lacquer. Rubbed with pumace and rottenstone. Drawer faces shown in pic have only stain – haven’t gotten the lacquer on yet. This was my first attempt at this type of lacquer finish, and I must say, its been an adventure. The finish is not perfect, has more “bumps” and uneven spots than I’d like, but definately servicable. My wife says I’m too much a perfectionist and the finish looks great, but I know I’ll do better next time. I still plan on using a black tinted laquer on the drawer and door panel borders, as well as on the drawer and door panel carvings. Then I’ll cover the top with some red leather, and put six short pine log legs underneath. Plan to use it for a flat screen TV stand and DVD storage.
I got the plans for this cabinet from The New Yankee Workshop website. Very good plans and include the DVD of the original show.
-- RobbyD, Michigan