I feel like I hardly got anything done this weekend….going quite slow I am afraid. I have had some issues with my table saw so 1/2 of my time was spent trying to fix that. Sometimes I wish I had big buff muscles so I could wrestle with my tools better. Seems I spend a lot of time swearing and yelling at my tools. Anyway….on with the show here.
I had to make the drawer slides which entailed cutting them from 3/4 oak and planing them down to 1/4. I have a band saw but it is a cheap one and is really only good for rough cutting, I didn’t want to rip the 3/4 inch wood on it so decided to use my table saw, probably not the safest thing to do but my board was about 6 inches wide so it was ok. I just shaved off a few strips a little wider than 1/4 inch and then planed them. I then drilled the recessed holes for the screws.
Next was the trim around the outside edges to cover the plywood. I used 3/4 inch oak for this too. My plywood is 3/4 inch, but apparenly not the same 3/4 inch that solid oak is. One thing that always makes me wonder…if it’s called 3/4 inch, shouldn’t it all be the same? So after I cut those out I had to plane them down so they were the same as the plywood…3/4 inch, the other….3/4 inch….whatever!
I then had to make splines and cut grooves in everything to attach the trim. Oh, almost forgot, I also had to cut dado’s at the tops and bottoms of all the sides. I had to cut a dado for a shelf too, which I screwed up. I cut the dados (not sure if I am using the right term here) at the top and bottom 1/2” deep but was supposed to cut the one for the shelf only 1/4” deep. I forgot and did it 1/2”. I was really mad at myself for that one. Then I spent about a 1/2 hour trying to find a spare piece big enough to re-do either the side or to make the shelf wider, neither of which was in the cards for me. Then I had a brilliant idea that I had some extra wood from the drawer slides, which just happened to be 3/4×1/4, slid that little baby right in the bottom of the dado, glued it in and as soon as I put the shelf in, no one will be the wiser….except all of you.
Did a little light sanding on everything before I glued it all up. Those splines were tight, but looks pretty good. Sorry the pictures are a little boring, almost look just like last week. Hopefully next weekend it will start looking like a piece of furniture.
This is the framing for the two shelving units on the sides and the back piece.
These are the drawer slides