LumberJocks

Tool Chest

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Rob Drown updated 1561 days ago 5 parts 6469 reads 21 comments total

Part 1: How far I got in class

1590 days ago by Rob Drown | 11 comments »

I took Roy Underhill’s hand tool only class on making a tool chest. It was a wonderful class and I learned a great deal. I highly recommend his classes. We learned about many hand tools and built a dovetailed tool chest. In class I finished the chest and only had to assemble it at home because it had to ship knocked down. The lid I am fitting together and should glue it tomorrow night. This is a picture of fitting the first section of skirt on to the top portion of the side....

Read this entry »


Part 2: Fitting the lid

1587 days ago by Rob Drown | 0 comments »

Fitting the lid is taking a lot longer than I thought. I had to trim the sides to length freehand as I don’t have a miter box. The grooves on the sided required trimming and deepening. Deepening the grooves was with a mortising chisel as I don’t have a plow plane. These pictures how the groove in the frame fits into the groove in the panel and the halves of the mitered bridle joint go together to make the lid. The antique clamp was my Dad’s. Shows the groov...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Top is finished

1580 days ago by Rob Drown | 2 comments »

Here is the lid after glue up. Turned ot well. Thanks Roy!!

Read this entry »


Part 4: Shaping and adding Spacers to the Handles

1580 days ago by Rob Drown | 2 comments »

Roy (Underhill) had the basic shape of the handles turned for us by a local chair maker. I shaped mine and added a spacer so I could get my stubbie fingers around the grip. I put a thread insert on the back side of the spacer to aid in mountng them to the chest. i This picture shows the profile I came up with.

Read this entry »


Part 5: Lid on and rejected as a blanket chest

1561 days ago by Rob Drown | 6 comments »

Well I finally got the lid back together. My better half thought it looked too good to stay in the garage, but after checking it out in the bed room, it is too small for the foot of the bed. Close call. As I was mortising the hinges, I dropped the lid onto a front corner. Popped one of the mitered bridle joints. I thought I had clamped the frame to tightly onto the panel but the fit is ok. Reglued the joint, doweled it from underneath. Fit is good and looks ak. It is a tool ches...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase