LumberJocks

Workbench

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Rob Drown updated 09-07-2009 06:14 AM 12 parts 13511 reads 55 comments total

Part 1: The Feet

01-05-2009 08:40 AM by Rob Drown | 2 comments »

This project has been on the back burner since I had my accident in April of 2007. I was working on the feet at a woodworking class when I had the accident. It took some time for me to get back to woodworking and the workbench specifically. Today I went back to work on the feet and fixed the foot that was damaged just before my hand. Feels great. The feet look good too. I’ll post the design and pictures of the progress.

Read this entry »


Part 2: feet pics

01-12-2009 08:46 AM by Rob Drown | 4 comments »

These need a bit more sanding and truing up the insides of the mortises then its is on to the legs and top brace. This large jointery is a lot of fun!!

Read this entry »


Part 3: Feet

01-10-2009 07:29 PM by Rob Drown | 7 comments »

They are almost done. I need to finish shaping the ends route a radius on the underside of the pads and sand.

Read this entry »


Part 4: Base is almost finished. Top is on the base, upside down. Time to build the twin screw vise

07-23-2009 05:51 AM by Rob Drown | 5 comments »

It has been a while since I posted stuff, so first I’ll catch up. I finished the mortises and tenons and assembled the legs and stretchers. The legs are very square and stable but the mortises are not as tight as I would like. They are going to take some fixing. I have put the top on the frame up side down so that I could attach the vices easier. I built a large standard single screw vice and mounted it as the end vise. It didn’t come with instructions, so I must have taken t...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Twin Screw Vice

07-24-2009 06:40 PM by Rob Drown | 2 comments »

Well I drilled the 1.5” holes and they came out a bit crooked. They will require some filing to get everyting to line up just right. Back to it. All the holes are fixed, now to mount the rear vice jaw.the Rear Jaw ready to drill the barrel bolt holes A better picture of the Rear Jaw ready to drill the barrel bolt holes Mounting blocks for the barrel nuts. Finally figured out how to insert pictures. The rear vice is mounted. Time to take my lovely wife out to d...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Twin Screw is almost finished

08-01-2009 03:57 AM by Rob Drown | 4 comments »

The front face is mounted. I need to attach the chain cover, then disassemble everything, drill dog holes, finish plane the jaws then apply the oil finish. The tolerance on the holes was much larger than I thought. I put way to much effort into straightening the holes. There are 3/8ths pins that keep what ever you clamp from resting on the screws. The instructions indicate that you are to drill holes for these pins on the inside face of the rear jaw tangent to the screw hole. The sc...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Twin Screw vise is DONE

08-03-2009 07:52 AM by Rob Drown | 4 comments »

I finally shimmed the brackets on the correct side and added matching shims on the opposite side of the front vice bearing and vola. turns smooth as butter. The front vice jaw is planed and sanded and has bench dog holes drilled in it. The TSV is Done. All it needs is a coat of oil, boiled linsead oil.and it is DONE> You can see the bench dog holes drilled in the apron, it is ready to be glued on to the bench. Then it is time to move the top off the legs, fix the wedged tenons, fli...

Read this entry »


Part 8: Is Lee Valley great or what?

08-05-2009 12:31 AM by Rob Drown | 5 comments »

I just sent Lee Valley an email (and they answered TODAY) requesting to purchase some parts for my twin screw vise, a replacement speed knob cause I lost it, a new handle and new brass screws cause I buggered them installing the cover. They are shipping them to me grattis. I didn’t even ask, they offered!!

Read this entry »


Part 9: The base is ready, so lets put the top on it!!

08-16-2009 07:11 PM by Rob Drown | 5 comments »

there is our Briard, Baxter checking out the top. The base is done. One of 10 wedged tenon joints Well the base is done and the top is ready so if I can find a few neighbors it is time to flip the top over and put it on the base. this is really exciting. I will actually have a workbench.

Read this entry »


Part 10: Neighbors showed up and the top is on

08-16-2009 10:36 PM by Rob Drown | 4 comments »

Thanks Doug Phil and Randy (and Jeff who is incapacitated) ) now to attach it to the legs, glue on the one section of apron and drill the dog holes.

Read this entry »


Part 11: Bench Dogs in progress

09-06-2009 08:42 PM by Rob Drown | 4 comments »

I am making 9 bench dogs out of 3/4 brass rod and 3/8 copper flat bar. Cut the rod to 3” pieces and the copper to 1 1/2 by 1 3/4 rectangles. Drill a 3/4 hole in the copper. mate and silver solder. then find an appropriate size tygon tube. Cut into 7/16 long rings, heat and slip over the copper. Then I’ll be done with another step. 9 very sturdy bench dogs for $60. not bad. Thanks Gary for this COOL idea.

Read this entry »


Part 12: assembled bench dogs ready to solder

09-07-2009 06:14 AM by Rob Drown | 9 comments »

drilled 3/4 holes. Long stringy chips. only cut my self once. press fit rods into holes. Now to silver solder.

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase