I started stripping the canoe a couple months ago but ran into a bit of frustration when putting in a walnut accent strip. The walnut machined a little differently than the cedar when I ran the strips over the router table to put the bead and ...
|View roaddog's:||home||workshop||projects (1)||blog (5)||reviews (0)||forum topics (0)||buddies (1)||favorites (4)||activity log|
15 posts in 2626 days
Location: Seattle, WA
Latest Activity | view all »
Latest Projects | view all 1 »
Latest Blog Entries | view all 5 »
Well after a long wait I finally finished shaping the stems for the canoe. It was a lot of work but very pleasing. I had never made anything like this with a spokeshave and plane and after a little getting used to it I got comfortable with it ...
I finally decided to steam-bend the stems. I had a lot of worries leading up to this but it was much easier than I had thought it would be. I machined a dozen strips 1/4” x 7/8” x 4’ out of walnut. I threw the strips in my steam...
Here is my high tech steambox setup. The cedar strips for the canoe are easily bent over the forms but the laminations for the stems at each end of the boat need to be steamed to be bent around the stem molds. I did a little test run last nigh...
Several months ago I decided I was going to build a cedar strip canoe. I picked up Canoecaraft from Bear Mountain Boats and decided on the 15’ Ranger. I drew out the station molds in October and then had to wait until after Christmas before ...