Everyone warned me that LJ was addicting…but did I listen…nooo!
What free time I did manage to get outside of surfing LJ, I finished up the drawer boxes:
They are unfinished at this point…picture was taken right after the mineral spirits wipe down. I’m going to wait until the drawers are completed with the fronts and handles before applying the finish.
I did opt to go with the 1/4” vs. 1/8” thickness for the bottom. I stayed with the solid cherry and cut the bottoms short to give then 1/16” wiggle room in both directions for expansion.
Unfortunately, these aren’t the original boxes I made. I ran into an issue routing the grooves for the bottom drawers.
Had a few little blow outs:
Common sense should have told me to cut the stopped groves prior to the joinery. So luckily I only used 1/4 of the 1/4” cherry stock I bought for the project, so I made all new blanks and started from scratch.Lessons Learned
- Think through and logically plan out any milling/tooling steps prior putting a tool to wood. I am so used to following other peoples plans “cut X, route Y, assemble Z” that I failed to realize that I don’t have that crutch available in doing my own design. Granted it should be common sense, but it’s definitely a lesson learned and part of my learning process.
- Not so much a lesson learned, but something worth reinforcing. Always have extra stock available for every project in order to account for mistakes. If you’re at the level where each project is more learning experience than smooth sailing, then that % should be higher.
- Finish the handle jig and complete the handles.
- Start milling the pieces for the main display case. I need to mill the pieces to match the sizing of the glass front. The glass front will be my master reference point moving forward since it’s already cut to size. Once the main display is completed, I’ll be able to mill the base to match the final size of the main case.