LumberJocks

Torsion Box Workbench - aka - my first bench

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by rhybeka updated 11-04-2012 01:30 PM 9 parts 19896 reads 27 comments total

Part 1: Planning stage - first of many

10-28-2011 01:21 AM by rhybeka | 9 comments »

Thought I would start this since it’s somewhat concurrently running through my head as I try to muddle through completing my entertainment center build and all of it’s frustration. The main issue is not having a place to go to to complete the small tasks – planing (end grain or otherwise), nowhere sturdy to really fasten things down, and it needs to be slightly mobile. I saw the new-fangled workbench video and thought – that’s it – that’ll fit my nee...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Resignation

09-24-2012 12:57 AM by rhybeka | 7 comments »

after finally getting some time in my shop this weekend, and deciding to finally give the rickety old workbench left by the previous two owners a heave, I think I’m going to go in a different direction to start than that New Fangled bench – only because I’m not quite sure my skill level is where I need it to be – and I don’t need another lesson in frustration quite yet. :) I think I’m going to go with Tom’s Torsion box workbench instead, and make the...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Tom's Torsion Box - learning curve

09-30-2012 03:38 PM by rhybeka | 5 comments »

Well, I’m showing my newbieness at this. I had to go to Lowes to get another sheet of plywood this morning because the cuts I made on one yesterday turned out to be unworkable. I have 2, 4, and 6? foot guide clamps that it is my first time using, but i thought it would be the same as nailing two 1×6’s together as a guide. Apparently not. I was going to try to salvage the two pieces I messed up but I think it would change the dimensions a bit too much. Cutting straight seems ...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Plywood and drill bits....

10-04-2012 01:18 AM by rhybeka | 0 comments »

I’m glad Tom Caspar’s steps are so detailed. Tonight I tackled marking out and drilling the side and center pieces, getting them counterbored on both sides and painted (essentially steps 4 and 5 I think in the directions). If I wouldn’t have had other chores I could’ve gotten further but oh well. Tomorrow will be a great evening to be in the shop hopefully. busted a 5/32 drill bit and a countersink bit because of my cruddy B&D chuck…I wish it was a good enou...

Read this entry »


Part 5: learning curve still hasn't changed...

10-13-2012 09:59 AM by rhybeka | 0 comments »

I think I’ll be making certain that I take my notebook out to the garage with me later on this morning when it’s time to work. That way when I make a mistake I can write it down and how I fixed it so next time I may hopefully be So I’ve made some headway and gotten the ends and the center piece assembled after a few mistakes. I’m not sure how one of my panels had holes drilled in the wrong spots but it did, so I bought extra plugs to hopefully fill some of those in or...

Read this entry »


Part 6: again with the wheels?!

10-13-2012 11:12 AM by rhybeka | 4 comments »

so I’ve been poking around trying to figure out which solution will work best for this bench. I think the 2×4 with swing down casters will work, but like others I don’t want to be shoving my foot under the bench to engage the device. I’ve got plenty of 2×4, but I still need to invest in my casters and the other hardware. I found one of the threads here on LJ about it. I like the idea with levers from Wood Magazine (#178 Sept 2007), I’m just not sure I want t...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Progress on front vise

10-22-2012 09:41 PM by rhybeka | 1 comment »

I’m in the home stretch as of now – I changed my mind and decided that the front vise was a good idea. Got all of those pieces cut and assembled, now I’m just having to figure out how to shave the handscrew. Guess I’m going to have to dig out the straight bit and see if my incremental settings work. Picture to follow!

Read this entry »


Part 8: Stuck on Wheels.

10-27-2012 03:17 PM by rhybeka | 1 comment »

Ok, so I’ve been trying to figure out how to merge these two ideas, and sad to say I’m just not quite analytical enough to make the round peg go in the square hole. I really want to combine the idea from the table saw assembly table that uses levers on the side of the bench to raise and lower sets of casters on either sides of the table (would keep my toes safe at least) but I can’t seem to wrap my brain around how to attach it to the leg design of the torsion box bench sinc...

Read this entry »


Part 9: It's done!

11-04-2012 01:30 PM by rhybeka | 0 comments »

well, I overcame – sort of – my wheel issue. I got them mounted onto 2×4s and hinged onto the bench. For now, it will be staying on wheels until I figure out how to get the wheels out without the possibility of crushing my toes. I added two shelves yesterday and both are full – which makes the bench extra heavy. I’m planning on getting the plywood that is sitting in the bench’s future home cut today so I’ll post a few pics here once it warms up a ...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase