The other night I was finally able to get back out to the shop. I was excited about starting to get to some of the detail work on the pieces. Got the measurements transferred from the SU to the ply pieces, and set up my square to being my edge guide (mistake #1 but I thought it was a good idea at the moment). Even used a piece of scrap to remind me not to run the bit all the way through the L and K pieces I had screwed down.
so with this setup, I continued routing my bench dog holes. I should’ve stopped after I futzed the second one up but I didn’t thinking well – maybe they can be salvaged.
So I continued on, and in essence of your time and mine, I’ll condense the next bit. I finished routing the bench dog holes, and moved on to cutting the notches out. I thought the table saw would give me a better cut so I used it to cut out the notches on the ends. Then I flipped them over and noticed the blade had cut all the way through on the back side of the piece. Strange, but I realized since I’d been making through cuts on everything else it hadn’t mattered until now.
It was at this point I decided to cut my losses and start clean since I had enough material to do so. This time I was able to use Mr. P’s way of laying out the pieces all on the same board and routing them that way – which was MUCH easier.
I was able to get them routed and cut into pieces. Unfortunately I realized a bit too late they may not be deep enough.Better than too deep I guess :) I stopped there since it was late and I was getting tired enough to make more mistakes. I figured I’d get back to it with a fresh set of eyes and coffee maybe even today. Staying warm in the shop is now an issue but hopefully I’ll have a few more weeks to get this done!
-- Beka/Becky - aspiring jill of all trades, still learning to not read the directions.