I had a bit to putz in the shop today – had to finish cleaning out the ‘other’ side so our sedan could be parked in since apparently by the end of the week the weatherman said the S word. I should be used to hearing it every few years in Oct. in OH but I still gave the TV the stink eye since it means my shop days are getting numbered and I’m nowhere near finishing this bench. at least it’s cut into pieces so I can assemble in the basement if we get to that point :) Anyway… Today I managed to scout out the proper size screws for my router sub plate and got that back on. I made some practice runs with the bit since I’ve never used anything that wasn’t an edging bit – and I’m pretty much a noob at my router as well. I don’t like the base – the adjustments are wonky but I also haven’t spent enough time with it to be familiar. So the first pass to just see what it would do… reinforced why we use guides :)
second attempt I used another scrap piece of ply as a guide and clamped it down – not bad but interferes a bit with the router handles.
Third time of course is the charm. Used the straight edge and the depth appears to be appropriate for half a circle. I did forget to take a picture from the side though – d’oh!
The last thing I managed was to get my four pieces that get dog holes screwed down to a piece of scrap ply so they are ready for layout once I locate my directions at where to put them :D hopefully I’ll get to that tomorrow night before our cold front moves through!
-- Beka/Becky - aspiring jill of all trades, still learning to not read the directions.