Thanks to Paul at Space Age Plane!

Review by Duff posted 07-15-2017 04:48 AM 2476 views 1 time favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Thanks to Paul at Space Age Plane! Thanks to Paul at Space Age Plane! Thanks to Paul at Space Age Plane! Click the pictures to enlarge them

First let me start out by saying that I am pretty much a novice when it comes to hand planes. Even when I did my stint apprenticing in a custom high end furniture wood shop I didn’t wield planes very often. That was the bosses thing. Anyway, I was perusing member posts a month or so ago and Paul had posted photos of some of his work he had just mailed off to a client. I was blown away by the photos and found myself going back to his post and admiring his work. I decided I had to message him and tell how awesome his planes looked. Paul was quick to respond, thanking me and told me this was a new venture and had only been up and running a short time. He suggested I check out his website, I went to spaceageplane.com and spent a long time there reading about Paul and checking out his creations. He also has a passion for vintage hand saws and brings them back to life. I currently have no planes in my shop and I decided I was going to ask Paul about the BB1 Blackbird Mini Demo he had. I was looking for a low angle block plane for working on the boxes I’ve been making. Unfortunately by the time I got back with him it was gone. We talked and he suggested the 5.75 Wide Smoother Plane. He was pretty sure I would really like this Plane and he had a demo available. He said that it had been handled and used a few times but it would arrive ready to use. Again, I am no expert on planes but figured I would take Paul’s advise. Well that baby arrived on my place today and let me tell you IT’S FREAKIN PHENOMENAL! Demo? Other than a small amount of discoloration on th brass sides from being handled I wouldn’t have known it had been used a few times. I believe the infills are rosewood. It will take me a little time getting used to setting the blade correctly but I finally got it to sheer off fine ribbons of some beech I had in the shop. Paul’s tools are first class, ready to use upon arrival and in my opinion works of art. I recommend everyone to stop by spaceageplane.com and check it out! He also has some vintage hand saws available and even his own custom veneer saw!

-- You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven - Jimi Hendrix

View Duff's profile

Duff

View SpaceAgePlane's profile

SpaceAgePlane

#1 posted 07-15-2017 11:38 PM

Looks like that guy makes some nice stuff! ;)

-- Paul @ Space Age Plane Co.

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

#2 posted 07-25-2017 08:28 PM

That’s a neat-looking plane there. How are the sides attached to the sole? Looks like a clean fit on the infill. O1 iron?

-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)