Another Screaming Bargain of a Saw Blade

Review by knotscott posted 11-06-2009 12:52 AM 8080 views 2 times favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Another Screaming Bargain of a Saw Blade No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This review is as much a deal alert as it is a testimonial. This deal has been on Ebay for several weeks now from Cripe Distribution, and I’m amazed people haven’t scarfed these up like free champagne. If you’re not familiar with it, the Delta 35-7657 was originally the DeWalt DW7657 40T ATB general purpose blade….the same blade that Wood Mag rated favorably against the Forrest WWII a few years back when it was considered a good bargain at $50. It appears to be the same design, but is now made in the US, as opposed to the UK. It’s a fairly straight forward 40T ATB general purpose design that’s fairly similar to the venerable WWII’s design, with large C4 micrograin carbide, full kerf (0.118”), a hefty body made from high quality steel, and laser slots for $18 (plus $11 s/h).

My experience with the DW7657 was excellent, and my early trials with the 35-7657 are comparable so far. I’ll speculate that with a magnifying glass in hand, chalked edges, and numerous test cuts, the 35-7657 will probably fall just a tad shy of the WWII level (haven’t done that test with this one yet), but you’ll get glue ready cuts. It’s not necessarily the best choice for thick ripping with underpowered saws, but it’s hard to beat $29 to your door for a quality all purpose blade. It just so happens that this deal is very close in price and description to the Oshlun 40T I reviewed…while this deal is still available, I’d go with this one…I think it’s a little better blade, plus it’s made in the USA vs China….nuff said. 5 Stars anywhere near this price!

#1 posted 11-06-2009 12:55 AM

Thanks Scott your always on top of bargains and a well informed reviewer.

View KingGordon's profile

KingGordon

#2 posted 11-06-2009 02:06 AM

Thanks for the review and the deal alert. I just ordered one!

#3 posted 11-06-2009 04:12 AM

I just saw the 60-tooth cross-cut version on Wood Tooliday for $24.99 plus $5 s/h. I hadn’t really heard anything about Delta blades, so I ignored it till I noticed your review. Now I’m going to have to decide if I want to get that before it expires at midnight… originally I was looking at the Freud D1060X for $40 from Amazon with free shipping. Amazon has the Delta 35-7646 listed at $72.

Update: I bought the Delta :) Hope it’s as good as the one you reviewed. I’ll throw up a review of my own when I get it and try it out.

#4 posted 11-06-2009 05:13 AM

Ironically, the Delta 35-7646 is on my saw right now, was using it for plywood and finish cuts on my mantel this week….picked that one up cheap in an Ebay deal too. It’s a good blade, and like the 35-7657 is now made in the USA and was originally a DeWalt DW7646 made in the UK, which I also tried. It’s not as versatile as the 40T because it won’t rip as efficiently, but leaves a slightly smoother cut. Don’t know as though I’d pay $72 for it, but for $30 to your door it’s a sweet deal. Let us know how you like it.

#5 posted 11-06-2009 05:42 AM

Good to know, that’s exactly what I was looking at using it for – cutting some baltic birch for cabinets carcasses. I’ve been using the 40T blade that came with my tablesaw, but it’s seen so much use you can’t even tell what kind it is since all the markings are worn off. It doesn’t do a horrible job at cross cutting, as long as I use my sled and if I’m really concerned about appearance, some painters tape around the cut line. Still, i don’t want the plywood to tear out, so I thought I should get a real cross-cut blade. You’re right though, for $72 I’d get the Freud hands down.

#6 posted 11-06-2009 06:04 AM

If you want really clean plywood cuts, look at something with a Hi-ATB grind…like the Forrest Duraline, Freud LU79 or LU80, Infinity 010-060 or 010-080, or Amana MB10-800. The 35-7646 has been very good in plywood but not stellar, but it does offer more versatility and likely longer edge life than any of the high tooth count Hi-ATB blades.

#7 posted 11-06-2009 06:06 AM

Ok, I’ll be sure to tape these cuts too :)

View KevinVan's profile

KevinVan

#8 posted 11-06-2009 06:26 AM

I ordered one for my new saw that I don’t have yet…LOL

-- ALS IK KAN “to the best of my ability,”

View rozzi's profile

rozzi

322 posts in 2041 days

#9 posted 11-07-2009 02:26 PM

This Ebay Seller should give you a commission. I ordered mine today. Thanks for the review. You just saved me a few bucks because I almost bought a Delta blade at the local hardware store yesterday.

-- Duane, Iowa

View ryno101's profile

ryno101

#10 posted 11-22-2009 07:01 AM

Joining in with rozzi, KevinVan, and KingGordon, I just ordered one too! Thanks!

-- Ryno

#11 posted 11-23-2009 09:11 AM

To all who’ve ordered one of these blades, I’d be interested to hear your opinions and experiences with it….good and bad.

View Jerry's profile

Jerry

#12 posted 11-24-2009 08:38 PM

I think this same blade just came on sale at peach tree with their email they sent me. They have it for 16.00 plus shipping, they also have a lot of other things on sale that looks good also.

-- Jerry Nettrour, San Antonio, www.topqualitycabinets.net

View dalec's profile

dalec

#13 posted 12-08-2009 08:44 PM

Knotscott,

I am sure you have saved many of us a lot of time and money with your generous sharing of saw blade knowledge.

Dalec

#14 posted 12-09-2009 01:56 AM

”Knotscott,

Dalec”

If so, send rubber check or counterfeit money order to:
Scott Spencer

View dalec's profile

dalec

#15 posted 12-09-2009 03:20 AM

Scott,

The idea of saving money has been come to mean what we save on one thing is generally spent on something else. Thus, the rubber check is in the mail.

However, it does not lessen the gratitude we owe you and all the LJs who participate on this forum.

Dalec