Well worth the money

Review by Joe posted 1721 days ago 4103 views 2 times favorited 43 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Well worth the money No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I find this sander outstanding to use. I purchased this when I realized I would be sanding forever on all those little pieces that made up the two excavator I built. Very easy to use and changing belt to spindle is a snap. Just remember it has left handed threads. I have read on the internet that people had problems with the tracking on the belt. Sure, mine did not track straight right out of the box, but it took a total of 15 seconds for it to track dead straight. You set it once and that’s it. Of course of you change sand paper you may have to tweak it a bit.

It was a breeze to put together and it runs very quite. All the accessories have a place you store on the machine which is nice. I think Rigid did a bang up job on this one. I guess that’s why Fine Woodworking list it as a must have tool.

Yes, I would by this one again

-- Senior Chief

View Joe's profile

Joe

185 posts in 1989 days

View papadan's profile

papadan

1111 posts in 1964 days

I bought one a couple years ago t a show, one of my favorite tools.

-- Carpenter assembles with hands, Designer builds with brains, Artist creates with heart!

View JasonWagner's profile

JasonWagner

Thanks for your review. I’ve always been curious about this sander. I have been afraid I would find the belt too short and would end up envious of some of the longer belt/disk combos.

-- some day I hope to have enough clamps to need a clamp cart!

View drfixit's profile

drfixit

I have the same sander and also another one, I use the ridgid more often and think it does a very nice job. My other sander is a 6”disk, 4inch belt combo that I use for more agressive sanding. Never had much problem with the tracking on my ridgid sander.

-- I GIVE UP!!!! I've cut this @!&*!% board 3 times.... its still too short!

View Julian's profile

Julian

I have used and abused mine for about 3 ears now and still love it. I use it just about every time I am in the shop.

-- Julian, Park Forest, IL

View papadan's profile

papadan

1111 posts in 1964 days

I have a Delta belt/disc that I have not touched since getting the Ridgid. Jason, I am sure you would really like one of these sanders.

Another very satisfied owner here. Had mine about a year and a half now. I can only assume those having tracking problems haven’t read the manual. I think 15 seconds to get it to track straight is taking your time… Once it’s set it’s set. You don’t lose it until you swap the belt… WAY easier than setting tracking on my bandsaw for sure!

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View WoodyWoodWrecker's profile

WoodyWoodWrecker

I’ve seen this and have wanted one for a while now. I’ll be getting it eventually. Thanks for the review.

-- You always have tomorrow to stop procrastinating.

Thanks for the review, Joe. This is a tool that I do not have in my shop and have been considering getting one of these.

View Joe's profile

Joe

185 posts in 1989 days

I guess I awoke all the happy Rigid belt sander owners up….. But seriously if you are thinking about it. I am sure you will be more than satisfied. This baby will set you back 200 smackers. That’s a lot of money but I think it’s worth every penny. I have been waiting for it to go on sale but I have never seen it.
The thing I absolutely love about it, it’s just so dang handy. Ok, I got to stop its getting a little weird. LOL……

-- Senior Chief

View araldite's profile

araldite

187 posts in 2000 days

I bought one last year after Fine Woodworking gave it a Best Overall and Best Buy rating. Aside from being a good machine, it’s light enough to be picked up and stored on a shelf when not in use. And tracking is not an issue; it can be easily tuned in a mater of seconds and there is no drift.

Never had a tracking issue with mine .
I just don’t understand why they made the miter gauge slot so much wider than 3/4” ??? 13/16” is quite sloppy for a standard miter gauge to fit into. Thank God I don’t need to use it very often. Other than that , I’d buy it again . Haven’t even looked at my Rikon disc / belt sander since I got the Ridgid : )

111999 posts in 2173 days

It ’s a great tool thanks for the review

View GuyK's profile

GuyK

I just recently purchased this sander and the Ridgid 6” jointer, both are great tools. The neat part about this deal was HD was having their tool sale and I almost got the sander for free. Again both great tools.

-- Guy Kroll www.thelandsathillsidefarms.org

View Sawdust2's profile

Sawdust2

One time tradins out the belt sander for a spindle sander I dropped it on the floor. Bent the small end.
Straightened it out as well as I could but no matter what I now do I can not get the belt to track.

Not a fault of the machine. Just letting others know.

If someone has a fix I’d appreciate it otherwise it’s off to the parts place to get a replacement.

Lee

-- No piece is cut too short. It was meant for a smaller project.

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

May I make a suggestion, here?

Could we deem every single tool that’s reviewed as “Utter, Worthless Garbage, valuable ONLY IF you’re intention is to hurt yourself AND your family when you use it.”

Okay, okay … we could devise a code—say a small [A+] or “TU” (ThumbsUP) or [5] (number of stars), buried deep within the review, but … sheesh!

You guys are killing me!

You’re almost as bad as the motorcycle community with Gotta’ Have It gizmos coming at ya’, every day?!?

[Just my attempt at humor … Very nice review! I’m limiting my near-term focus to a DW735 planer, and … not soon, either]

Cheers … and grins …