What a long wait...

Review by Joe posted 1758 days ago 3440 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
What a long wait... No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I tried to purchase this back in February time frame when WoodCraft had them on sale for 100 dollars off. Well they sold out quick and they put my name down and guaranteed me the 299.00 sale price. They said Steel City had not planned so many would sell at that price. They said that it should only be a few weeks before they got them in. Well two weeks turned into months and after eight months they called and asked if I still wanted it. I said are you still honoring the price of 299 dollars? They said yes sir we will. So I said ok I will be there to pick it up. Steel City is having major problems getting there product to market. That’s a shame too.
Could not ask for better customer service at Virginia Beach WoodCraft. Big thumbs up to all of you guys. They always treat me right…

Ok, back to the review. It seems to work well. I only use it on one machine at a time. It was very easy to assemble. Runs quite and the motor doesn’t get warm. I read a few posts that the motor gets hot. Send her back then because they are not supposed to.
Bags are also easy to change out. It sucks up everything I throw at it and it has really kept the dust down in the shop.

It had a few minor leaks in the seams in the metal. I just spread a little clear calk and it sealed them up. The lower bag leaked a tad between the creases of the bag. I used some thin window insulation strip, and that took care of that.

Would I purchase it again? For 299 dollars you bet, for $399 probably not. I would go with a Jet with the canister even though it a tad bit more.

-- Senior Chief

View Joe's profile

Joe

185 posts in 2026 days

Any clue what size the jumper hose between the impeller housing and inlet ring is? Looks like 6”...

I have seen a few folks complaining about Steel City having trouble getting their products to market. Jointers, dust collectors, and table saws. I wonder what is going on with them…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View Rick Boyett's profile

Rick Boyett

The more I hear about Steel City, the more I think they are a company to avoid..

112016 posts in 2210 days

Thanks for the Review.

Thanks for th review.

I love my JET with the canister filter , but I don’t remember how much I paid for it almost 7 years ago now.

View Cato's profile

Cato

641 posts in 1946 days

Joe, Nice price on the unit and you can always upgrade to a canister later if you want or need to. Good to get the dust in the bag and not in the shop or body.

View GregD's profile

GregD

I also have this unit. I got a floor model from a shop going out of business for about that price right before the February discount. I also considered one with a canister filter, but the 1 micron felt bag seems to work OK.

dbhost: I’m pretty sure its 6” between the fan and the separation ring.

I don’t know how this unit performs compared to others of this size. At the time I was looking, Penn State published useful performance data on their units (flow performance curves) but nobody else did that I could find. One concern I have on the flow performance of this one is that while it has a 6” inlet on the fan housing, this drops to something smaller right at the inlet to the impeller.

Sadly, I’ve only spent a handful of half-days cutting wood in my shop since then, so I’ve only collected an inch or two in the bag from my TS. I get more dust than I like on the top of the TS, so I ordered a Shark Guard to help with that and replace the stock splitter that I never installed. I’ve modified my DC so that I can slide on either a 6” flexible hose (to go to my jointer, which has yet to cut wood) or the stock adapter with the dual 4” ports (one to the bottom of my TS and the other to the Shark Guard, when it comes). I also want to run a 4” line to my drill press, and have a few ports around my shop where I can plug in a shop vac hose and clean the floor – I have a trash-can separator to keep the big stuff from going through the DC impeller when I do that.

-- Greg D.

View cstrang's profile

cstrang

I keep hearing that Steel City is good quality and has good customer service but I also keep hearing that they have problems getting their tools to market, it would be a shame to loose this great company so early in their game.

-- A hammer dangling from a wall will bang and sound like work when the wind blows the right way.

View michstairguy's profile

michstairguy

Some inside info tells me that they are getting ready to go under pretty soon. It is too bad but if the rest of their tools perform as poorly as their portable planer that my old employer purchased then it really is no wonder
Absolutely the worst finish coming out of a planer I have ever seen. It destroyed some Maple that I ran through it. It went back to the store within 15 minutes of setting it up. A real piece of junk and cost more than the Delta 2 speed finishing that replaced it. That on the other hand is the best finish I have yet to see from a portable. I have had one since it came out several years ago its too bad that Delta discontinued it to make room for the new Dewalt 735 which is outrageously expensive.

-- There is no growing in knowing where your going