Unique idea for workholding

Review by kshipp posted 11-04-2009 11:20 PM 2054 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Unique idea for workholding No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I saw a lot of press about these online as I’m sure that many of you have. I was at Rockler one day picking up some other things and I picked these up also just to check them out.

I used them for the first time yesterday and I was really impressed. I was working on a 40” x 8” board so I put a bench cookie in each of the corners. I was able to use a random orbit sander and a belt sander with no problems at all. I’ll admit that I was nervous when I first set the belt sander on it because I didn’t trust them but I do now. I didn’t try them with edge-routing like they show in all the ads but I imagine they would work for that also.

The performance didn’t seem to be diminished by having some sawdust on them either. I just wiped them off on my shirt a few times during use to be sure.

I gave them four stars because I still don’t really feel like I trust they are going to hold all the time. But they have so far so maybe its just me getting used to them instead of an actual fault with the product.

Rockler Link

-- Kyle Shipp,

View kshipp's profile

View Lenny's profile

#1 posted 11-05-2009 01:17 AM

I have been hoping to hear from one or more LJers on this product. Glad to hear you made out well with them and thanks for the post.

-- On the eighth day God was back in His woodworking shop! Lenny, East Providence, RI

#2 posted 11-05-2009 01:44 AM

Thanks for the review. There was a post a little while ago were someone made there own at a low cost he called his brownies.

-- Custom furniture

View Pete_Jud's profile

#3 posted 11-05-2009 03:50 AM

I had a lot of 4 1/2 inch disks left over after making my dust collector pipe hangers out of 3/4 ply, and just glued some spinlock shelf liner pieces on both sides. I don’t know where I bought the spinlock, but it was only a buck or two a roll, and have used it on the boat for years as an anti slip shelf lining. It seems to be the same stuff that rockler and western tool sells as matts.

-- Life is to short to own an ugly boat.

View Joe's profile

#4 posted 11-05-2009 04:57 AM

I also thought about how they would work after getting some saw dust on them? I guess you answered it.

-- Senior Chief

View araldite's profile

#5 posted 11-05-2009 05:43 AM

My bench top is a little slick because it’s varnished. If there’s enough sawdust on there these cookies will slide around. If the bench is clean and the cookies brushed off they work fine under a ROS. I don’t trust them enough to use them with a router, but maybe I’m just overly cautious.

View Bret's profile

#6 posted 11-05-2009 04:52 PM

I’ve got a set of 4 of these and use them almost every time I’m in the shop. They don’t lose adhesion no matter how dusty they get. Sure I could’ve made a set myself but for $12 it fell squarely (for me) on the buy side of the build/buy line. Kind of like the Bridge City KM-1 I just received in the mail and may be reviewing shortly.

-- Woodworking is easy as 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510...

View mikedddd's profile

#7 posted 11-05-2009 05:39 PM

I haven’t seen the bench cookies up here in Canada yet, but I’ve been using a left over piece of drawer liner for a mechanics tool box for awhile now, works great for sanding, I haven’t and probably won’t try it with a router.

-- Mike

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#8 posted 11-05-2009 06:37 PM

I received a set of the Rockler Bench Cookies and like them so much that I bought another set. No problems here with sawdust they actually stick like little suction cups to my unvarnished Maple work bench.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View kosta's profile

#9 posted 11-06-2009 02:16 AM

im gonna try that

-- kosta Virginia Beach, VA

View Rustic's profile

#10 posted 11-08-2009 03:26 AM

I have used them with my belt sander and trim router and I love ‘em

--, Rick Kruse, Grand Rapids, MI

View dustyal's profile

#11 posted 11-09-2009 02:53 AM

I have and use four of these things… I thought they were a bit pricey as I can accomplish just about the same with non-skid mats. On the other hand they are convenient.

Generally I use them with ROS sanding. I haven’t really had the courage to try with router but I suspect they will work fine.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...