LED Shop Lights 4 PACK

Review by DDWW posted 07-05-2017 04:20 PM 2080 views 2 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
LED Shop Lights 4 PACK No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I just bought a 4 Pack of LED shop fixtures on amazon and installed them in my shop. They are 35watt with the output equivalent of 100w incandescent. The color temp is 5,000k. In short I like them a lot. The impression you get when you turn on the lights is damn its bright in here. There is a 2 second delay before the lights turn on. Its a little weird but compared to my fluorescents this was instantaneous, not really bothersome once you get use to it.

The 4 fixtures were $119 total, which makes them a bargain fixture, The body is extruded aluminum of decent gauge, each has two strips of LEDs. I hung them about a foot out from the edge of my benches and they covered the bench in a nice bright even light w no shadow from me.

The LED strips are each covered by a plastic tube. I think this is to make them look more like a bulb. I chose the clear plastic instead of the frosted option.

There is enough room on the underside of the fixture to add at least two maybe three more strips of LEDs if you wanted to Hack them for more output. I could see doing this on the outside edges to spread a little more ambient light. The LED strips are 110V and not the more prevalent 12v models. My quick search of LED lights showed me the 110V are harder to find and much more money. The fixtures sell individually for about $35.00 so when you add the price of the LEDs it doesn’t seem worth the hassle and I’d probably just add another fixture.

I know w 12v LEDs there is a limit on how many you can string together depending on your power supply. These lights do not have an option to string them together w low voltage wire. I had the power run for 110v fixtures already run. The lamps themselves have a switch and terminate in a 110v plug. I chose to run 110 outlets off the ceiling boxes and seal the ceiling boxes up with the proper plate.

The lights come with a wire cable mounting system that allows you to adjust the height of the fixture to the ceiling. There are some people on line who found this hard to figure out, but it should be no problem for a Lumber Jock. Each Cable screws into the ceiling with one screw per cable and then the cable terminates in a clip that fastens on the lamp housing. The clip has a low profile so directly mounting to the ceiling would put the light tight to the ceiling and put a little pressure on the cord.

I had originally thought I”d just mount them directly to the ceiling and forgot the cables. I used the cable system over the table saw which allowed me to lower the light a bit. It made me feel like I was increasing the light.

I could use the shop this way and be pretty good, but I think I will add two or three more fixtures for complete illumination. The 5000k is white light and not overly blue or any discernible color cast. I think this is great for a middle aged guy like me who needs more light and stronger glasses every year.

I’ve attached a picture but its kind of pointless unless your there to see it in person.

PS I have no affiliation w the product and paid full retail for them.

View DDWW's profile

DDWW

View Desert_Woodworker's profile (online now)

Desert_Woodworker

#1 posted 07-05-2017 04:58 PM

This is the cutting edge on lighting a workshop- nice review

-- Desert_Woodworker

View lew's profile

lew

#2 posted 07-05-2017 07:09 PM

Thanks for the review!

Just replaced a couple of 4’ fluorescent lights with LED- amazing difference.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View DDWW's profile

DDWW

#3 posted 07-05-2017 07:11 PM

It is night and day, : )

View Roger's profile

20871 posts in 2560 days

#4 posted 07-07-2017 11:00 AM

Thnx for your review. LED is the way to go, no doubt. I did it a few years ago, and I know they’ve improved the fixtures since then with brighter lighting and prices a little lower. Like clamps, I don’t think we could ever have too many lights.

View kkaucher's profile

kkaucher

#5 posted 07-14-2017 04:13 PM

LED lighting is definitely the wave of the future. I’ve replaced about 80% of the lamps in my workshop, and the difference is definitely day and night. My wife visited the Sanctum Sanctorum a couple of days ago and said “Why is it so bright in here?”

Guess she hadn’t noticed I’d been replacing fluorescents with LEDs over the past six months… ;-)

-- A bad day woodworking is better than a good day working. ~Author unknown

View GregL549's profile

GregL549

#6 posted 07-28-2017 01:39 AM

Thanks for the review , these have been on my wish list for a while . Time to pull the trigger !

View Andybb's profile

Andybb

#7 posted 07-28-2017 01:54 AM

Yes, it’s time. I have about ten 8’ fluorescents that I got out of a KMart that closed close to 20 years ago. Only 3 still work!

-- Andy - Seattle - The best thing about being a pessimist is that you're either right or pleasantly surprised.