From Rant To Rave in One Night

Review by papadan posted 07-05-2017 02:17 AM 1394 views 1 time favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
From Rant To Rave in One Night No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Diablo has come out with a new product for sanding. It is called SandNet and fits 5” ROS. These are screens with Aluminum oxide grains. The sandnets come in a package of 10 with a mounting pad. The pad fits onto your sanders hook and loop pad and the sandnet disc fit on it. they claim these disc last as long as 10 regular sanding disc and they are washable and non clogging. The SandNet disc works on wood, metal, paint, Plastics, or any solid surface. They come in 80, 120, 220, 330, and 400 grit. A package is selling for $8.95. I bought a package of 120 grit to try them out…..I’m Sold! These disc cut faster and cleaner than anything I have seen. The 120 grit cuts a lot faster than the 80 grit I normally use and leave the surface as smooth as the 220 grit I normally use. I am going to pick up a package of 400 grit and wont need anything else. I sanded 4 Oak table legs from bandsaw cut to finish ready, cleaned all the rust off a couple old hand saws from a yard sale, and finished shaping a Walnut rifle stock, and the first disc is still going strong. I highly recommend the Diablo 5” SandNet for use with your 5” random orbit sander.

EDIT: 7/6/17 Stopped in Home depot today, Seems that the SandNets were on sale when I bought them for $8.95, today they are $14.95. I still believe they are the best though and I bought a pack of the 400 grit.

View RichTaylor's profile

RichTaylor

#1 posted 07-05-2017 02:30 AM

The mesh disks are awesome. I’m glad to see Diablo offering them, so more people will try them. I’ve been using Mirka Abranet for a year or so and won’t buy regular disks again. My local lumber store had a 25% off sale on any 5 boxes of 50 disks each, so I picked up a range from 80 to 320 for a little over $20/box that should last me a long time.

-- No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.

#2 posted 07-05-2017 02:34 AM

I had not heard of them before a couple days ago Rich. Just thought I would try them out. I didn’t mention it in the review, but they are at Home Depot, not sure if anyone else sells them.

View pottz's profile

pottz

#3 posted 07-05-2017 01:36 PM

ill check these out ive been switching to abranet too but these sound like maybe cheaper?how many were in a pack.the sanding screens are the only way to go.thanks for the tip papa.

-- sawdust the bigger the pile the bigger my smile-larry,so cal.

View lew's profile

lew

#4 posted 07-05-2017 02:12 PM

Thanks for the review! I’ve been using Abernet, also. Maybe these will be less expensive.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View pintodeluxe's profile (online now)

#5 posted 07-05-2017 03:00 PM

Thanks for the review. I haven’t tried mesh disks yet, due to a review that seemed to say it can damage the H&L pad on your sander. Any issues with that in your experience?

I have been using Klingspor VD6000x series discs and have been very pleased with those.

The review is much appreciated, so thanks again.

View RichTaylor's profile

RichTaylor

#6 posted 07-05-2017 03:11 PM

Thanks for the review. I haven t tried mesh disks yet, due to a review that seemed to say it can damage the H&L pad on your sander. Any issues with that in your experience?

The review is much appreciated, so thanks again.

- pintodeluxe

I wish I could remember who so I could give them credit, but a LJer explained to me that the purpose of the interface pad is to prevent the longer velcro hooks on most sanders from protruding through the mesh sandpaper and damaging the surface being sanded (and the pad on the sander as you mentioned). It’s definitely a must-have for these types of disks. I think it’s good that Diablo is including them in the box.

It’s basically just a pad with hook on one side and loop on the other. Hook it onto the sander and leave it there. I’ve never had one wear out.

-- No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.

#7 posted 07-05-2017 06:23 PM

Yes, each pack of 10 disc comes with the interface pad to attach to your sander pad for the disc to hold onto.

View BurlyBob's profile

BurlyBob

4594 posts in 1960 days

#8 posted 07-06-2017 03:59 AM

Thanks, I’m definitely going to give them a try.

View SpartyOn's profile

SpartyOn

#9 posted 07-06-2017 01:05 PM

Thanks for taking the time to review! I’ll definitely try these out.

#10 posted 07-06-2017 07:10 PM

Bump and see EDIT above.

-- Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

View jimintx's profile (online now)

jimintx

#11 posted 07-11-2017 01:42 AM

Man, I just saw them in Home Depot and bought some of the 320 about a week ago.

I liked the overall concept, and the way they are intended to work.
It is good to read your review. I have not yet opened my package.

-- Jim, Houston, TX

View cebfish's profile

cebfish

#12 posted 07-11-2017 03:39 AM

I bought some today. Acutely they were free with purchase when you bought 50 of the regular disk

View mummykicks's profile

mummykicks

#13 posted 07-14-2017 02:31 PM

I find the edges get torn up more easily than the regular disks, but I was using the 60 grit version to sand a deck.
I’ll have to try the finer grits on furniture work.