Onieda Air Systems Dust-Free Router hood

Review by HassanMirza posted 06-29-2017 02:07 PM 1297 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Onieda Air Systems Dust-Free Router hood Onieda Air Systems Dust-Free Router hood Onieda Air Systems Dust-Free Router hood Click the pictures to enlarge them

I acquired a Oneida Air Systems router hood, let me start of by saying that I am fan of the Cyclone, I have it on my modified Harbor Freight Dust Collector. I work in a smaller basement shop and as many of us know when flush trimming with the router makes a huge mess! I am in the middle of a project and I needed to do flush trim plywood. When I got the Router hood and I attached it to my Dewalt DW618, which was a very simple process. I really wasn’t sure what to expect, but hooked up a to a small shop vac, it was GREAT! I absolutely loved it! I can’t tell you how happy I was to know that I wasn’t going to be chasing wood shaving all over the place. The Router hood was very easy to attach, it also connected to my Bosch Hose, I really like the fact it has a nice wide base for easy of use. Things I am concerned about, The material that the router hood is made from, looks top notch, real clear and I am concerned about durability? maybe a little. Would I say this product is worth the money? YES! its an American made product made here right in the NY. Most of all it is made well and it performs like you wouldn’t believe. I think we are always so concerned about dust collection at the Table saw, Miter saw, Jointer, Planer, but the router makes one of the biggest messes and we have just dealt with it. NO MORE! This guy is here to stay and I will continue to use it. On a side a side not with Routers that does not have good dust collection like the Dewalt DW618 (very poor design). I removed the bottom flush trim attachment and used it the top vac hose attachment part for a dado and it performed great! Go out there and make saw dust, just have a way to capturing it.

HassanMirza

View pintodeluxe's profile (online now)

#1 posted 06-29-2017 03:49 PM

Dewalt 618 has poor dust collection? I have two and the dust collection is great for dados and inlays. No router comes equipped to collect dust when edge profiling, unless you get a contraption like this. I do most of my flush trimming and edge profiling at the router table for that reason. My router table has over and under-table DC, so no problem there.

This offering from Oneida looks good. I don’t know if I’d be willing to give up the factory through-the-plunge-tube collection on the 618 though. Did you remember to install the clear plastic insert with the 618 factory setup? That piece is critical to good dust collection on the 618.

Thanks for the review, good stuff.

#2 posted 06-29-2017 03:55 PM

@Pintodeluxe

Dewalt 618 has poor dust collection? I have two and the dust collection is great for dados and inlays. No router comes equipped to collect dust when edge profiling, unless you get one a contraption like these. I do most of my flush trimming and edge profiling at the router table for that reason. My router table has over and under-table DC, so no problem there.

This offering from Oneida looks good. I don t know if I d be willing to give up the factory through-the-plunge-tube collection on the 618 though. Did you remember to install the clear plastic insert with the 618 factory setup? That piece is critical to good dust collection on the 618.

Thanks for the review, good stuff.

- pintodeluxe

I do have the plastic clear attachment that you are talking about, I do think it does a fair job. one of my other real issues with that design is that that hose attaches to the plunge mechanism and make the router very top heavy which I am not a fan of. I really like the Milwaukee router that has the collection at the bit like this one has now. As far as the Flush Trimming does I agree if the parts are small enough best to do it at the router table. I am in the process of building a new assembly table and that would not have been an option. I am glad you like the review.

-- Hassan Mirza

View pintodeluxe's profile (online now)

#3 posted 06-29-2017 04:29 PM

Oh, yep, I just finished an assembly table. I totally understand what you’re saying.

Thanks again for the review. If it’s a dust collection do-dad, I’m probably interested.

View Hazem's profile

#5 posted 06-29-2017 06:23 PM

Nice Hassan.

Salam.

- Hazem

Hzaem Walikum Salam, and thank you!