Nice Jointer, But Keep Dreaming.....

Review by Phred posted 11-01-2009 06:14 PM 7198 views 0 times favorited 28 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Nice Jointer, But Keep Dreaming..... No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Well, I ordered my Steel City 8” Granite Deluxe Jointer with Helical Head back in the beginning of August… The guy a the shop I deal with said it would be a 3-4 week wait to get one, well.. 3-4 weeks later.. still didnt’ have it.. then it was two weeks, then two more weeks, then it’s on the boat, should be another two weeks, well.. it’s been 3 months since I ordered it, checked back in, and final answer, there should be one at the tool show, and you can have that one… well.. off I go to the tool show yesterday find my Rep, and he looks at me and says, you are not going to be happy…....

Well.. sure enough, Steel City is having major production problems with the 8” Granite jointers, seems the granite isn’t working out too good on the bed, and they are not able to produce them, then on top of that, I was informed that instead of using Cabide cutters in the helical head, it’s going to use HSS cutters, and they are proprietary to Steel City..

Well.. after much bargaining, he tried to sell me thier 8” industrial jointer.. but I was already not happy as it was, and after some wandering around, I found a General 8” for $1300 bucks brand new, and I can pick it up the next day… no waiting!! :)

So.. my final verdict on this jointer, even if they end up producing them, My concern is the Granite, how sure are you going to be on the reliability of this jointer, if they can’t even produce them. And they have stopped production on thier old Cast Iron Jointer (except the industrial one) I would be worried to own the complete 8” Granite now, there probably is just not enough support under those granite wings to stop them from cracking (unlike thier table saws, where there is really nothing sticking out.)

Even if you want one, you can’t have one.. so just keep dreaming, and when you snap out of it, just pickup an old faithful Cast Iron Jointer, you know they won’t have problems with those!

-- But honey.. this new power tool will pay for itself when we re-do the kitchen!

View Phred's profile

Phred

#1 posted 11-01-2009 06:17 PM

That is a bummer. Service like this does not bode well for the long term viability of the company. I think that you made the right choice in going with another brand given the run-around that you have already gotten.

View cstrang's profile

cstrang

#2 posted 11-01-2009 06:30 PM

Hmmm, I was thinking about getting the 6” model (I dont think my shop can fit an 8”) now im second guessing my decision. I am going to a tool show in Muncton in 2 weeks and Steel City is going to be there so this gives me some ammo to shoot at them to see what kind of answere they come up with. They are a new tool company as it is and hiving this kind of production problem this early in the game could be very bad for them. Thanks for the post.

-- A hammer dangling from a wall will bang and sound like work when the wind blows the right way.

112087 posts in 2231 days

#3 posted 11-01-2009 06:53 PM

I have a 12” Grizzly helical head I’m pleased as could be with it .I’m sure German technology is better but I had to stretch to buy a Toyota of jointers so I knew I could not afford the Mercedes. It does a fine job for me even though it’s made in Taiwan.
I have talked to a number of people who have had to wait for a shipment to come in for there equipment but 3 months is over the top. Enjoy your new jointer PHRed

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#4 posted 11-01-2009 07:30 PM

Stay away from that one. what happens if you ever need parts and repair. Be glad it didn’t come through.
cast Iron has been around along time, it’s more mature in tools world.

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

View woodsmithshop's profile

woodsmithshop

#5 posted 11-01-2009 09:42 PM

I had the same problem last spring with a Steel City dust collecter I ordered, they seem to have trouble producing the products they sell. so I cancelled my order and bought a Clear vue.

-- Smitty!!!

View Andrew's profile

Andrew

#6 posted 11-02-2009 01:17 AM

Bummer , sounds like you got over pretty quickly, and will have a jointer in your shop tomorrow. I am looking forward to the review of the general. I really would like a jointer, I am financially a ways off from getting one. But in the event of a windfall, I think the 10” helicak Grizzley is my current choice. Unless that windfall is lottery size that is. Hope you enjoy your new machine. I love the feel of that oily stuff that everything wiil be coated in. I only love that smell in my shop.

-- Even a broken clock is right twice a day, unless, it moves at half speed like ....-As the Saw Turns

View Xtreme90's profile

Xtreme90

#7 posted 11-02-2009 03:37 AM

I agree with A1jim,

I also have a spiral cutterhead grizz jointer the G9860zx it’s a monster jointer. No doubt germans are fine machinests and them martins are prob real nice. But like Jim said for U.S. Designed jointer made in Taiwan, this big boy suits me just fine for my industrial needs.

-- "I don't cut wood. I machine it!" G.M. The wood machinest

View mikedddd's profile

mikedddd

#8 posted 11-02-2009 04:57 AM

I am positive I seen a granite jointer at the Edmonton show on Friday. I bought there 8” industrial jointer last year, it’s a great machine. I was a bit unsure of the granite and how it would stand up that’s why I went with the industrial model. I hope that Steel City can get things straightened out, they seemed so promising a short time ago. I’m sure you will be happy with the General, which was my second choice.

-- Mike

View mloy365's profile

mloy365

#9 posted 11-02-2009 05:03 AM

I am looking for a new 8” jointer. I have had a Delta 37-190 for a long time. I am now looking at the grizzly line very seriously.

-- Mike - Northern Upper Michigan

View woodsmithshop's profile

woodsmithshop

#10 posted 11-02-2009 05:29 AM

for those of you that need a jointer but are low on funds you might try the “joint ability” http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/jointabillit.htm they have been bought by RBI and have raised the price quite a bit but for a 5’ it is $220 still maybe within range of some of you. I just looked up RBI and they have been bought out by Bushton Manufactoring, so I don’t know the status of the” joint abilty” now, but it is a very good alternative to a jointer, if you also have a router, they made a 5’, 8’ and a 10’, you may find one on e-bay, or you could make one yourself, check out the site above to see what it looks like and it should be easy enough to make, I made a 10’ one myself once and it worked out pretty good. I will look around and see what I can find on this tool and then post it on here.

-- Smitty!!!

112087 posts in 2231 days

#11 posted 11-02-2009 05:37 AM

I never heard of that one

View Phred's profile

Phred

#12 posted 11-02-2009 05:56 AM

I live in Edmonton :) The Steel City had a 6” jointer there at the show.. if they had an 8” i would have bought it ;)

It seems that the production problem is only with the 8” jointer.

#13 posted 11-02-2009 06:50 AM

I have had HUGE concerns with granite table tops since that idea started floating about. Your experience with Steel City and their production problems just reinforces what I thought. Granite just is better suited to counter tops instead of power tool table tops.

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View mikedddd's profile

mikedddd

#14 posted 11-02-2009 06:53 AM

I got thinking after I posted that it may have been the six inch jointer at the show, but I never really went over and checked it out, to much other stuff to look at you know how that goes. I was very close to buying the General Model 80-200L – 8” DELUXE JOINTER last year. I have a couple of general machines, never had an issue with one. The Steel City jointer is the only machine I have from them and like I said before it works great. It’s too bad there having production problems..

-- Mike

#15 posted 11-02-2009 07:24 AM

“woodsmithshop” http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/jointabillit.htm This tool is only for Edges , you can’t flatten a board with it…..Most likely the reason that Phred wants to spend around $2000 on an 8” machine : )