Shop Made Honing Machine

Review by Andrew posted 1731 days ago 3167 views 3 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Shop Made Honing Machine Shop Made Honing Machine Shop Made Honing Machine Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was communicating in a project from dbhost about this honing machine so I thought I would share it here. I got this motor (1/2 hp 1750rpm) from Metal Mike, a nieghbor, same guy who traded a working drll press for a broken band saw. I took 2 peices of MDF and glued them together, roughed a circle, about 10” diameter, then mounted it on my lathe. I turned it into a perfect circle, lathes are good at that. I then purchased a work arbor from woodcraft, I think $14. Mounted the MDF circle to the arbor and then charged it with white buffing compound. The wheel turns up and away from me, which is opposite from a grinder, but this is good for honing. I don’t have a tool rest so I have to freehand the tools, seems to work pretty good anyway. I am showing a menards Tool Shop chisel in the picture. I simply turn it on and hold the edge up to it so that the back of the edge is also against the wheel. When the “black mud” starts to roll over the top of the edge, it is sharp, very sharp and has a mirror finish. I use this to hone my Chefs Knives ( I can drop a tomato on it and have 2 peices) turning tools, chisels, planes irons, you name it.

-- Even a broken clock is right twice a day, unless, it moves at half speed like ....-As the Saw Turns

View Andrew's profile

Andrew

112001 posts in 2180 days

Inexpensive but effective well done Andrew

Andrew that is pretty neat. Thanks for the tip.

View dustygirl's profile

dustygirl

Nice job.Looks to work quite effectively.

-- Dustygirl..Hastings,Ontario.. How much wood can 1 gal chuck if 1 gal can't cut wood?

View lew's profile

lew

Cool!

If you make another one, you can go to the “Goodwill Store”, buy a leather belt for $1, contact cement the belt- fuzzy side out- to the perimeter of the circle. The leather is a little “softer” than the MDF and it loads up with compound a little better.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

Thats’s another one for the “making tools is better than buying tools” crowd. Looks really neat.

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

View Berg's profile

Berg

I like it. This is on my list. And lew, thanks for the leather belt idea. Have you done that? I’m a little concerned about the belt flying off.

-- Pete - "To every thing there is a season Turn! Turn! turn!" [Ecclesiastes and Pete Seeger]

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

Thought you may like to see my video of the Upgrades I made to the Work Sharp including one that allows you to use Tormek jigs AND how to use cheap buffing compound instead of sandpaper instead of diamond wheels and compounds: