13" bench top planer (Reconditioned)

Review by Fireguy posted 1633 days ago 9422 views 0 times favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
13" bench top planer (Reconditioned) 13" bench top planer (Reconditioned) No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased the rigid planer yesterday and got it home and unpacked it right away since it is reconditioned. Everything was with it and as far as I could tell never used or why it is reconditioned. Today I want thru the setup and tuned the in feed and out feed tables to level with the table. The thickness scale and repeat a cut where right on so I left them alone.

Pro’s
1: Great reviews
2: Price $189.00, I also had a coupon for 10% off so ended up 169.00 + tax. Hard to beat that price.
3: easy to set up. 2 thumb screws and Allen head bolt to assemble. About 5 min at most.
4: heavy, was a lot heavier than I expected a portable tool to be.
5: I like the indicator for depth of cut. Being a first time planner owner it gives me peace of mind that I am not going to go overboard with a cut.

Con’s

1: Reconditioned comes with a 1 year warranty instead of the life time warranty.
2: Snipe, I ran some 2×4’s about 3’ long to test and am getting some snipe about 2” form the end. I am guessing this is something I need to adjust but need to get some advice on that.

I want to give some credit to the store I bought it from. The name of the store is Direct Tools. I stopped in last weekend and they didn’t any in stock. I was told they where going to get a couple in on Thursday and they would hold one for me. They took my name and number, on Thursday they called and left a message and it was in. When I got to the store it was in the back room waiting for me to pick up. Great service and that can be hard to find.

I gave it 4 stars because of the snipe, when I get that fixed it will be a 5

So all in all I am happy so far and am looking forward to getting some lumber and starting my next project.

-- Alex

View Fireguy's profile

Fireguy

View Konomigon's profile

Konomigon

That store just opened up where I live and I bought the same Rigid planer. I had the same experience with snipe as well. I wasn’t using on a project where it would show, like a table top or something. I haven’t tried any adjustments to correct. If you find some something that works please share.

-- Kris

View papadan's profile

papadan

I’ve had the Ridgid TP1300 for almost 9 years now and it is the best. Stopping the snipe completly is very easy, adjust the infeed and outfeed tables so that the outside edge is higher than the inside edge. The inside should be dead even with the platten. The reason for raising the outside is so that with the weight of the wood on it, it will be even too. Raise the outside about 1/8” with the screws under the table that go in towards the platten. For longer boards (5’+) you need to hold the end of the board up as it starts into the planer and as it comes out the other side or set up some roller supports to hold it.

-- Carpenter assembles with hands, Designer builds with brains, Artist creates with heart!

View spindle's profile

spindle

If it’s a longer board try lifting up on the leading end (the one that’s already gone through the planner). There’s also adjustment screws for the outfeed table that will raise the leading end. Try using playing cards between the adjustments and the table. That will let you know if it’s really the problem and how much it needs adjusting. The Ridgid site also has some good information.

Thanks,
Greg

View Mikeyf56's profile

Mikeyf56

I have owned mine for 4 years, and it my most valued powertool.

-- Powered by Smith & Wilson~~~

View HeirloomWoodworking's profile

HeirloomWoodworking

Yep, I have one also. It has planed MILES of lumber for me.

I use it daily and have come rely on it heavily, The quality of my work increased greatly when I started using this unit in my own humble shop.

Great price as well….I was thinking I paid around $350 for mine.

Thanks for sharing
Trev

-- Trevor Premer Head Termite and Servant to the Queen - Heirloom Woodworking

View Luke's profile

Luke

I also have one. You HAVE to support the ends of the work when you start and when you stop. I find it’s easy enough to lift lightly on the board for the first couple of inches until the second wheel grabs it and also lift lightly when it’s coming out. Not enough to actually pick it up just enough to not let it fall. Better to be high than too low cause your next pass will easily take off that excess. I pretty much never have snipe because of this. The best thing would be to have a landing table or roller or something to accept the wood when it rolls out, and put this only slightly higher than the bed level. Very nice tool though. Cost me about $400 and came with a nice stand, extra blades and all the tools to remove them. Thanks

-- LAS, http://www.abettersign.com

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

Congrats on your new planer.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View azwoodman's profile

azwoodman

I just got mine too and it is my first experience with a planer so I dont have anything to compare it to but it sure is fun to use! I practiced on a 2×4 until I got the hang of it and then planed down some 8/4 hard maple for a cutting board that I am making (I’ll post pictures soon…). It seems to work great but I am having the same snipe issue… I’ll have to tweak it a little bit i guess… Congrats on the new tool!

-- Spencer, Gilbert Az (http://www.azwoodshop.com)

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

2546 posts in 1935 days

I’ve had one for about a year. It is a workhorse. Keep the tables waxed and do what papadan suggests and the snipe is nearly nonexistant. I also feed my wood at a slight angle. That has virtually eliminated snipe. Also check out this website:
The ridgid forum is very helpful.
Ellen
That is an incredible price too!

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

109409 posts in 2080 days

Good review and great price.

That is a SMOKING deal on that particular planer. Did you get it at Home Depot or where did you score such a deal?

One thing I did notice is the recommendations to support the lumber as it goes in, and comes off. That is what I do with my Ryobi AP1301 and it eliminated snipe entirely… I just wish I had that 4” dust port you do…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View rtb's profile

rtb

I’ve had one for for a couple of years and yes it does seem to have a little snipe problem but since you have to get the output anyway its almost(or will be) automatic to support whats coming through, and I don’t think that this problem is unique to the rigid. My previous planer was a used ryobi 10” which the previous owner had built a cabinet for it with about30” of additional out feed which was mostly just something that was in the way.

-- RTB. stray animals are just looking for love

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

Didn’t I also see that if you put boards directly in front of it and directly behind it, you’ll have the snipe—if any—on the sacrificial first and last boards??

That IS a smokin’ deal. I’ve been wanting a planer. That MAY be too good to pass up (Heaven help me…..)!

-- -- Neil

View Luke's profile

Luke

Unfortunately the board will still fall down when leaving the planer ( due to weight hanging over the back edge of the planer), even if there is another one right behind it.

-- LAS, http://www.abettersign.com

View Fireguy's profile

Fireguy

Thanks for all the tips, I am going to give it a try this week I hope. I purchased some planned walnut from one of the big box store yesterday and OMG it was about $16 a bf. I think I am going to take it back and get some rough sawn to work with. Even with cutting a couple of inches off to get ride of the snipe it would be much ceaper.

-- Alex