A Good Saw, I'd Say!

Review by Dave Rutan posted 06-14-2017 01:15 AM 1916 views 1 time favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A Good Saw, I'd Say! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

My old benchtop table saw bit the dust not so long ago, so I started researching for a replacement. This saw not only met those requirements but gave me two bunuses. I wanted a saw that was not too much more than my last one and I wanted a greater cutting width and some kind of on-board outfeed support. This one gave me everything. For that matter, the T-slots match the ones on my old saw which was not the same brand, so I was able to use my cross-cut sled from the start!

The Good:

The fence is much better than the one on my previous saw. I’ve been checking it for square with every cut and it has remained parallel with the blade.

The locking handle on the fence is shorter than my last one. This is a plus because the handle doesn’t stick out waiting for my leg to hit it when it is stored on the side of the saw.

The extending table makes the saw table bigger for a start, but also extends so that a sheet of 4×8 plywood could be split at 24 in. easily. The max capacity is 27 in.

A built in scale functions whether the extension capability is used or not. The accuracy of this all depends on how well you set things up. Probably easier/faster to use a ruler critical measurements.

Toolless table extending/retraction.

Toolless extension/retracting of the outfeed support.

Lightweight/mobile if that’s a requirement.

Comes with a folding stand that stores on the back of the saw. I didn’t use mine, as I had a rigid stand that I re-used.

The Bad:

Aluminum table top and fence, so no magnetic widgets can be used. The extension leaf is steel though.

No provision for dust extraction. I may make my own when the saw gets older.

The throat plate hole is a little narrower than my last saw. It is a little harder to get my everage size hand in there to lock the riving knife. Luckily I don’t need to do that very often.

The push stick supplied with the saw is poorly designed. The position you need to hold your hand to use it would be painful. I use the John Heisz version of push stick anyway.

General:

Rigging up a zero clearance throat plate will be interesting.

I miss the knee paddle switch I had rigged up on my old saw. It’s near the top of my list.

-- Ni faru ion el ligno!

View Dave Rutan's profile