Great for small shop using only one tool at time

Review by Eric_S posted 1730 days ago 3361 views 0 times favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great for small shop using only one tool at time No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I don’t know how informative this review will be as it’s my first dust collector and review, but I’ll try. I was originally looking at the 50-760 after hearing lots of good reviews, but since I plan on only using one tool at a time and I dont mind rolling this around from tool to tool I didn’t mind something a little cheaper as I was trying to save money (or so I thought), quieter, and smaller.

Despite reviews I’ve seen on amazon, this thing was very simple to setup, but then again I’ve never had problems putting together anything, including futons from walmart with the worst possible instructions…it just takes longer ;) While the instructions weren’t specifically clear, the pictures helped a lot. The only difficulty is that they have you install the motor housing before the cross support beam which means its very wobbly while attaching the heavy motor. I think this is why they recommend doing it with it laying on its side but that too was a little difficult. A second hand would have helped. All in all, it took about an hour to put together. I purchased the CT version, which I dont know if that was a good decision or not. I didn’t realize the felt bag it comes with is 1 micron, while the cartridge filter is 2 micron. I hear cartridges though have more breathing room though so maybe it will help with suction? Can anyone confirm this?

The only difficult part I had was installing the cartridge as instructions say to put the included foam tape around as a seal before attaching. Well, the cartridge is so tight fitting that no matter what I was unable to attach the cartridge with the foam. Luckilly the cartridge has its own foam liner that should protect any dust from coming out around the seal, so I didn’t use the foam.

The max suction it states is 650cfm, and since I’m only using one tool at a time with a 6 foot hose it seems to be doing a great job so far with my planer (although I haven’t put anything more than 6” wide through yet) and bandsaw. Its also quieter than my shop vac so its much more pleasant to work with. The clear bottom bags are a nice addition too, very easy to attach and remove.

Now on to my regrets, I could have saved a hundred bucks I think if I got the regular 50-720 without the cartridge. Either way, it comes with a 1 micron felt bag so I really hope that although the cartridge is 2 micron, it will perform better. I hope someone can comfort me with this decision. Also, the 4’ duct that it comes with is a joke. I do agree with other reviews in that they should have at least included a 5 or 6 foot hose. The 4ft included hose has a lot of spring to it so it seems more like 3 feet. The wheels are also really tiny making it difficult to roll around the concrete floor so maybe I’ll upgrade those later.

All in all though, for a first dust collector I am very happy with it. I will probably have to upgrade though if I move and have a dedicated workshop where I can attach lots of ductwork. But for now, I am very happy with it and a big improvement over my crappy, noisy shop vac.

Eric

View sry's profile

sry

Thanks for the review. This is one I’ve been considering, so I’m glad to hear yours is working out well so far.

Eric_S

Its great as long as you keep the hose short and don’t mind wheeling it around. I think im going to purchase the Rockler Dust Right hose and attachments though to make it easier to switch between tools. I’m still trying to decide though if the cartridge was worth the extra money. Although only 2 micron, I’ve heard they perform better.

View Todd A. Clippinger's profile

Todd A. Clippinger

I have no doubt that you will be fine with 2 micron collection so don’t sweat it.

All of the small 650cfm units have tiny wheels. But they are not heavy so it is not too bad and you can change things in the future as you said.

The dust collector will work great for the way that you are using it.

-- Todd A. Clippinger, Montana, http://americancraftsmanworkshop.com

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

I think you did a great job with your review.

After looking at your model, the next Delta up (760?), and a bunch of others, I finally ordered the 2HP Harbor Freight unit, on sale. Also ordered the cartridge filter from Wynn Industries.

Like you, I have no immediate plans to plumb/duct it, so a fairly long hose will be a must. I’ve also been getting by (?) with a Shop Vac, so I’m looking forward to a big improvement.

Best of luck working out the last few kinks!

-- -- Neil

Eric_S

Thanks NBeener. Yeah I think Im going to keep the shop vac around for cleaning out car but that’s about it. I want to be able to hear my tools, not a jet engine. Let me know how the HF is.

Thanks todd. I’m sure the 2 micron will be ok, but is the cartridge really better than bag?

120 posts in 1996 days

I have this one too. I have been having a problem with wood chips collecting at the end of the hose. When I hook this up to my planer there are really small strips of shavings and they get caught on the cross piece that is over the opening where you attach the hose to. It has been a real pain. Any ideas?

-- Let the favor of the Lord our God be on us; establish the work of our hands- establish the work of our hands! Psalm 90:17

Eric_S

Maybe problem with the planer?

120 posts in 1996 days

It does it with other tools too… I was contemplating breaking the cross piece but then there would be nothing to stop something too big from passing into the collector.

Eric_S

How long a hose are you using? I haven’t seen issues yet but I just got it this past weekend and only have used it for a few hours.

120 posts in 1996 days

its a 6’ hose (I believe)

Eric_S

Hmm, maybe kickback can help. Do you have bag or cartridge? Maybe its too clogged and causing suction loss?

120 posts in 1996 days

I have the bag. When it gets clogged there is almost no suction until I take off the hose and pull off the strings. If all you collect is dust (dust collector) then it is great, but inevitably my planer or table saw will cut small strands of wood that get caught.

The problem with planer / jointer shavings getting caught on the cross piece going into the impeller is not unique to this model. My HF 2HP DC did this before the pre-separator was put in. The long shavings would simply wrap around the cross piece and build up, QUICKLY… Just keep an eye out for clogging and you will be fine. Cutting the cross pieces out is a common remedy to that problem, but yeah, you are right. Every now and then a big chunk can get sucked up and BANG hit the impeller… The cross pieces are there for a reason…

This little Delta was an option, but the low CFM was too much of a concern to want to go with it. I am sure it is fine for machine to machine use, but I will be plumbing, and this DC is just too small for that.

To your question, is a cartridge really better than a bag. YES. The cartridges allow the DC to breathe much more freely, and in turn realize higher real world CFM (the advertised CFM ratings are with no hose, and no bags / filters attached. So the 650 CFM DCs with bags have substantially lower than 650 CFM actually delivered in use…

Adding the Wynn canister to my HF DC was like putting a supercharger on a car engine. WAY better performance, MUCH more effect.

And since you asked about how the HF DC works out… I have had mine for almost a year, and when I remember to hook it up (I am going machine to machine with a 20’ hose) it not only pulls all the dust I could want from the machine being pulled from, but it has noticeably reduced ambient dust levels. I would really love a Dylos meter to verify exactly how effective it is, but I can say without a doubt, that if I clean surfaces, such as the table to the band saw, then perform particularly dusty operations with the DC running, and leave it on for a few minutes afterwards, I get NO visibly settled dust within 48 hours after use.

Now forgetting to hook up and run the DC is dsiasterous (which is why the DC itself has a layer of dust on the base, I keep forgetting to hook it up to my table saw…)

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

Eric_S

Yeah I was thinking of adding a small cyclone type pre-seperator sometime. I’m glad to hear that the cartridge is worth it. Thanks for the input

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

1195 posts in 2074 days

Thanks for the review. I am stepping up things a little at a time. Right now I use a 12 gal shop vac and it works fine… and I use it with a bag inside. Today I received my Oneida Dust Deputy. Quick assembly. Tomorrow I’ll try it out with my planer I have yet to us. Next step will be a unit like this Delta you reviewed or the Rockler wall mounted unit. Something portable to use at one machine at a time.

Again, thanks.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...