Sweet jointer at a very nice price

Review by leftcoaster posted 06-13-2017 05:11 PM 4159 views 1 time favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Sweet jointer at a very nice price No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I already own Cutech’s bench top planer and like it a lot. Now that I have the space for it, it was time for a jointer and having liked the spiral cutterhead for the planer, why not for the jointer too?

I had an issue with some of the cast pieces that was resolved after some email back and forth with Mike from Cutech, who was super helpful. He mailed me replacement parts and they worked very well.

The jointer works great and comes with a nice set of pushpads. Best of all for me, the cutter heads are interchangeable with those used for the planer, so I have a “platform” now for milling stock.

Depth of cut is fine tuned to a max of 1/8”. The fence is 4-3/8” high by 19-5/8”. Table length is 30”. 10 AMPs @ 120v and weighing 40 pounds. I’ve bolted it to a shop made cart.

A set of replacement cutter heads is included and you can upgrade to carbide if you wish. They also sell a model that comes with carbide already.

Since I purchased mine during a free shipping promotion, I see that they now have an 8” model, also available in either HSS or carbide. i wish I’d gotten one of those! Realistically though, I can use my Cutech planer and sled for the rare occasion when I need to plane something wider than 6”

I can lock in the settings for 90 degrees and 135 degrees. Only limitation for a 1/8” depth of cut is that you can’t rabbet on this jointer, but honestly I will never do that—I have a perfectly good router table and table saw.

I’m very happy with this machine and with the excellent support from Cutech. Thanks especially to Mike.

Links are http://www.cutechtool.com/product-p/40160h-ct.htm

and for the full jointer line up: http://www.cutechtool.com/category-s/107.htm

#1 posted 06-13-2017 05:13 PM

PS a tip when dialing in the set screws for 90 and 135 degrees

Bring the unit into the desired angle and slip a thin piece of paper under the set screw after baking it off enough. Tighten until the paper “grabs” when gently pulled. Remove the paper and fine tune from there. I used a very thin cash register receipt.

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

#2 posted 06-16-2017 06:15 PM

That 8” model actually looks like a pretty great deal. Do you get any tear out on weird grain? Did the cast iron wings come adjusted correctly for being parallel/coplanar?

-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)

#3 posted 06-16-2017 06:36 PM

I have not tried it with weird grain. I have no reason to believe that it would perform poorly. The tables are well adjusted.

View marcsitkin's profile

marcsitkin

#4 posted 03-31-2018 04:25 PM

Hi Left Coaster-

A right coaster here. Looks like the Rikon I looked at at the store the other day. The cutters look staggered, not spiral. Do you think it makes any difference?

I’m looking for a joiner to do light duty to prepare hardwoods for segmented wood turnings. Light cuts on hardwoods. Do you think it will do the job?

-- Thanks, Marc Sitkin, Harwich, MA

#5 posted 04-01-2018 12:51 AM

Marc, I’m very happy with it. Do I wish it were longer? Yes. Do I have room for a longer jointer? No.

I use it on hardwoods and softwoods always with light passes.