Solid racks, decent price, great value, almost perfect

Review by jonah posted 06-05-2017 11:11 PM 1187 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Solid racks, decent price, great value, almost perfect Solid racks, decent price, great value, almost perfect No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I love just about everything about this multi pack of clamp racks… except the pipe clamp rack. I don’t have any pipe clamps. Honestly, I wish I could have gotten a decent deal on a 2-pack, rather than the 3-pack. I wanted a parallel clamp rack and an f-style clamp rack, and this pack was the lowest cost option to get those two. The alternative was to get a 3-pack of either the f-style or the parallel rack and a single of the other one, or to get two singles. Amazon didn’t have any singles available, so that made the decision for me.

If they came in a 2-pack, I think I probably would have ordered two 2-packs of them, since I have a few too many clamps to fit in the two racks.

Leaving aside the extra pipe clamp rack that I have no use for (it’s wider spaces are an inefficient use of precious wall space for parallel clamps), the racks themselves are quite good. It’s heavy gauge powder-coated steel, and even loading the thing up with 12 heavy parallel clamps there’s no sense of flexing or instability.

The top two sets of holes are 16” on center, but in my garage the studs are 24” on center, so I had to put a strip of longer plywood behind the rack, screw the plywood to the studs, and screw the rack to the plywood (see pictures). A minor inconvenience, really. If the rack were an inch or so wider and had the bottom set of holes right near the edge I wouldn’t have even had to do that.

All in all, I’m quite pleased with the racks. The alternative was a bunch of time at the band saw making homemade plywood racks, and I had enough of that in my old shop. It’s worth ~$35 to me to save that time.

Anybody need a free pipe clamp rack?

View Rayne's profile

Rayne

#1 posted 06-06-2017 03:10 AM

Thanks for your review. I’ve been eyeing that set for the past week. My shop is in a mess from a yard sale held by my family and I just want my clamps organized quickly. This will do nicely. I’d take your pipe clamp rack if I had a lot to begin with, but I don’t. You could always modify it a bit as well to accommodate extra clamps that overflow from the 2 you have.

View dhazelton's profile

dhazelton

2549 posts in 1961 days

#2 posted 06-06-2017 12:59 PM

Glad it worked for you, but $35 is a lot to me. I made something like that out of plywood scrap, drilled the holes first and finished on the band saw. If it took me a half hour that’s paying myself at $70 an hour.

#3 posted 06-06-2017 07:57 PM

It’s $35 for three racks. It wasn’t worth it to me in my previous shop a few years ago, but after a move and in a very confined garage shop, it was worth the money to me. Paying $12 to save myself a half hour or an hour is very worth it to me, especially on something I couldn’t care less about.

View dhazelton's profile

dhazelton

2549 posts in 1961 days

#4 posted 06-07-2017 12:34 AM

Ah – three. I can see it now, especially if it’s thick steel.

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

431 posts in 2013 days

#5 posted 06-07-2017 05:30 PM

I tried a set of clamp racks like the ones you have. I was less than satisfied with them due to flexing and having clamps fall out of the slots so I returned them.

I used a scrap piece of 1×4 and a 1-1/2” square piece of pine to make a clamp rack for my Bessey clamps. I screwed the 1-1/2” square piece to the middle of the 1×4 and then screwed the whole thing to the wall, making sure I found the studs behind the drywall. In addition to screws above and below the 1-1/2” piece, I also found some long screws and ran them through both the 1-1/2 piece and the 1×4 into the studs.

The 1×4 allows you to get your fingers behind the handle to tighten the clamp to the 1-1/2” square piece so the clamp is securely tightened and won’t fall off. With all of the screws driven into the studs it is very sturdy. I have a couple dozen Bessey clamps hanging from it.

#6 posted 06-07-2017 08:50 PM

I don’t have much interest in actually clamping the clamps to a rack. Sure, they’re not 100% secure in the racks, but as long as I’m not in an earthquake zone (I’m not) I think it’ll be fine.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

6793 posts in 1993 days

#7 posted 06-07-2017 09:57 PM

Looks like you have both the Jet and Bessey parrallel clamps. Which do you like better?

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

#8 posted 06-07-2017 11:43 PM

I like the Jet better, mostly because of the trigger to move system. The Besseys are rock solid, but a little more finicky to move the head. Both are great, and I appreciate that the Bessey are a little lighter, but the Jet are just a bit better IMO.