Gotta love reusable glue spreaders.

Review by drfixit posted 10-26-2009 03:59 AM 2702 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Gotta love reusable glue spreaders. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is going to be my first review here at LJs and hope some one finds it of use. I normally use the cheap little shop brushes for spreading glue in joints and on tenons and such. I went by the local WoodCraft the other day to pick some up and came across these polypropylene glue spreaders. There is 6 in a pack and at $3.50 I figured it would be worth a shot. Love em! I use a lot of Tight Bond glue, after using one the other night while glueing up a clock case, I simply let it dry over night. The next day the hardened glue just pealed right off, just like new! They are to small if you are glueing anything of size, but for most of what I do they work great. The spreader portion of them are approx 5/8” and are 6” long including the handle.

-- I GIVE UP!!!! I've cut this @!&*!% board 3 times.... its still too short!

View drfixit's profile

drfixit

View Jim Crockett (USN Retired)'s profile

Jim Crockett (USN Retired)

#1 posted 10-26-2009 04:32 AM

Hmmm – looks like a cross between a lollipop and a passifier. Very interesting. Don’t have a Woodcraft anywhere near me but next time I place an order there, I just might get some and try them out.

Jim

-- A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including his/her life".

View a1Jim's profile (online now)

#2 posted 10-26-2009 05:54 AM

Interesting, thanks

View daltxguy's profile

daltxguy

#3 posted 10-26-2009 09:50 AM

You could also just save a worn out foam brush and remove the foam. Underneath it, you will find something that looks just like this thing.

I’ve been using the brushes from a single package of shop brushes for the last 20 years. Clean em after every use and each one lasts a very long time.

-- If you can't joint it, bead it!

View CreekWoodworker's profile

CreekWoodworker

409 posts in 2045 days

#4 posted 10-26-2009 03:44 PM

Thanks for posting your review. I’ve seen those things but wasn’t sure how they would work.

Steve, interesting suggestion, I’m going to see what is under a worn out foam brush, never thought to look.

-- Mike ...Success is often the result of taking a misstep in the right direction

View Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist's profile

Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist

5264 posts in 2056 days

#5 posted 10-26-2009 05:36 PM

I use the acid brushes from Harbor Freight for small glue ups. They are always on sale foe $1.99 for a bag of 36. I rinse them off with water after each use and re use them. For larger glue ups I use one of several sizes of UHMW scraps. Works grreat and nothing sticks. Best of all…the scrap pieces are free.

-- Each step of every Wood Art project I design and build is considered my masterpieceā€¦ because I want the finished product to reflect the quality and creativeness of my work

View RexMcKinnon's profile

RexMcKinnon

2593 posts in 1943 days

#6 posted 10-26-2009 07:52 PM

Looks cool but I don’t know why they would put that ring around it just behind the head. Looks like that would restrict access and make it more cumbersome to use. I use the brushes and always forget to clean them before the glue dries. I always forget about it while fine tuning the clamps. Gonna try the foam brush trick. That sounds great.

-- If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail!

View hunter71's profile

hunter71

2148 posts in 1934 days

#7 posted 10-27-2009 01:56 AM

I don’t throw anything away that can be used. I make my glue spreaders from scrap wood, flat, brush, notched, make them all. Then they can be thrown out.

-- A childs smile is payment enough.

View drfixit's profile

drfixit

#8 posted 10-27-2009 01:57 AM

The ring holds it up off a table top when you lay it down. They have 2 flats to prevent the spreader from rolling also

-- I GIVE UP!!!! I've cut this @!&*!% board 3 times.... its still too short!

View TraumaJacques's profile

TraumaJacques

#9 posted 10-28-2009 08:18 AM

Hey! I still have 10 of those… 5 on my right hand and 5 on my left hand,you just need to wipe them on your pants once in awhile! I am gona try too keep the numbers the same for the next few decades. But thanks for posting.

-- All bleeding will eventually stop.