sharkguard

Review by michelletwo posted 06-04-2017 05:25 PM 1783 views 1 time favorited 22 comments Add to Favorites Watch
sharkguard No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

installed my sharkguard without a hitch. Simple , and very well made product. I had no riving knife, or cover on my saw. I used it for 30 yrs just a blade sticking up . When I found this product I ordered it immediately and I am glad I had the sense to do so. Lee was good to work with and if I ever need any of his products , I will not hesitate to order from him again.

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

#1 posted 06-04-2017 06:03 PM

Looks cool, but I , like you, have not used a riving knife or guard since I got my Ryobi saw.
That’s great if it works for you. I know the riving knife is necessary if you have wood that closes up and pinches the saw blade. I stick wedge in there when it happens..
But one other place that it guards very well is the back edge of the blade that is coming up out of the table and will violently throw things if they get in that area.

Jim

View Sheila Landry (scrollgirl)'s profile

Sheila Landry (scrollgirl)

#2 posted 06-04-2017 08:56 PM

It looks nice. Yes – that is something that I feel would be important to have. :) I hope you are enjoying some warmer weather.

Sheila

-- Designer/Artist/Teacher. Owner of Sheila Landry Designs (http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com) Scroll saw, wood working and painting patterns and surfaces. "Knowledge is Power"

#3 posted 06-05-2017 09:20 AM

hey Jim: yep this is a big upgrade for my old saw. One can use it as pictured, or one can remove the cover, and just use the riving knife, depending on circumstances. After 30 yrs of good luck and no huge injuries with just a bare blade, I figured my luck might run out soon, thus the sharkguard. The dust collection is super. I really like not having all that dust shooting back at me.

#4 posted 06-06-2017 01:15 AM

I was under the impression it is impossible to attach a riving knife to old Delta contractors. I checked sharkguard.com and the website is sparse on info. Is this a splitter or riving knife?

#5 posted 06-06-2017 09:26 AM

Rick: it is a riving knife. Go to the delta section. It will give you model #s he can fit. . He also says if you do not see your # to contact him. He might still be able to fit it. You have options. riving knife and pawls, or not. With cover or not etc. Check the ARK info.

View dday's profile

dday

#6 posted 06-06-2017 04:22 PM

Does it improve dust collection? and does it stay clear when cutting? That’s the main reason why I
removed my guard off of my Delta saw.. I could see very well during the cut

#7 posted 06-06-2017 04:53 PM

- michelletwo

Which Delta saw do you have? Are you sure it’s a riving knife, which moves up and down with the blade? Or is it a splitter, which does not move? I have a 36-477 and I’m fairly confident it is impossible to attach a riving knife. He only lists splitters for old Delta contractors.

#8 posted 06-06-2017 05:20 PM

yes it is a riving knife. One must manually open a lever and move it up and down to adj for height of sawblade. totally simple to do..mine is a 34-444..just go look at his site..the #’s are all listed. I have no idea about your saw..talk to Lee.

#9 posted 06-06-2017 05:22 PM

dday: yes the dust collection is wonderful..no more throwing dust in my face
Yes you can see thru the plastic, and at the end it is open, so you can look in and line up your cutline to the blade.

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

#10 posted 06-06-2017 05:27 PM

Thanks. I will have to check this out.

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

View ClayandNancy's profile

ClayandNancy

#11 posted 06-06-2017 06:50 PM

I have that same 34-444 saw. do you have the part number for the guard.

#12 posted 06-06-2017 07:35 PM

go to the site..there is a listing there. when you order you tell him what you have, what you want i.e. riving knife/cover/ pawls etc…he then makes it for you.

View Holbs's profile

Holbs

#13 posted 06-06-2017 09:46 PM

I bought the Sharkguard splitter, not riving knife. Unsure why..maybe riving knife was more spendy? Or was not available at the time (early this year). Hmm…no, it was available because I remember reading that you had to manually adjust the height when you adjusted saw blade height. Must of been more spendy :)
I will say, having a Sharkguard splitter makes a huge mental difference in the safety realm of things. I know it’s not a riving knife (which I have on my Bosch 4100) but still…very glad to have bought it.
In regards to the dust collection, at least for the Sharkguard splitter, you get 3 height sizes. I usually have the middle sized one installed all the time and it collects 98% of all saw dust. Installed the tallest one just to see what happens while cutting some 3/4” plywood…not so great but what do you expect when a high splitter on a small piece of wood.

-- The Carpenter Bee is derived from the Ancient Greek word wood-cutter

#14 posted 06-07-2017 12:58 AM

yes it is a riving knife. One must manually open a lever and move it up and down to adj for height of sawblade. totally simple to do..mine is a 34-444..just go look at his site..the # s are all listed. I have no idea about your saw..talk to Lee.

- michelletwo

I’m really not trying be argumentative but you are describing a splitter. A riving knife moves on its own as you crank the blade up and down. If you watch the video by Sharkguard, it demonstrates the difference. Link is in my previous post.

#15 posted 06-07-2017 01:32 AM

Rick, call it what you want. Lee Styron calls it an adjustable riving knife. Just because one has to use a lever & move it, is not the important part. It is a retrofit for a 30 yr old saw. I go with the name he calls it.