You get what you pay for?....Maybe less

Review by Routerisstillmyname posted 10-25-2009 09:12 PM 3157 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
You get what you pay for?....Maybe less You get what you pay for?....Maybe less You get what you pay for?....Maybe less Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased these early this year. My decision was based on somewhat good reviews and mostly price. Based on the amount of usage that the dado set would see, I didn’t want to spend 200 on the Freud SD508 set which is what I had in mind in the first place.
I also skipped over the Oshlun SDS-0842 set due to noticeable bat ears claims and reviews.
So today I had a chance to put this set to test after making a zero clearance insert for this set.
Well, I’ll make it short. Clean bottom and no bat ears. That’s about it as far as positive.
The rest, well I measured each blades thickness and every one is off slightly. Enough to have you waste a lot of time guessing, cutting, testing and measuring. Also the sharpness is nowhere near the Freud blades ( accepted for this price range). After just a little use, I noticed some blow outs.
Freud blades just slice through like butter no matter what you through at them. If I had to do it again, even in low usage situation, the 100 I saved wasn’t worth the aggravation and screwed up job. I only wish I had tested them sooner so I could send them back to grizzly. My loss and hopefully your gain after reading this.

#1 posted 10-26-2009 12:05 AM

Good review thanks

View Jimi_C's profile

Jimi_C

507 posts in 1986 days

#2 posted 10-26-2009 12:30 AM

Interesting, I’ve been considering the Oshlun 8” set based on good reviews and haven’t heard anything about bad cutting with those.

#3 posted 10-26-2009 02:10 AM

Oshlun is definitely a better dado set. But the steep angle does leave more noticeable bat ears than other dado’s.
On the other hand, and after this experience with DeWalt, I would rather have some bat ears than waste time trying to set up exact dado width.
Whatever set you get, even if you don’t get a chance to use them right away, make sure you measure the blade thickness at plate and cutting head with caliper.
If blades are slightly under, it’s ok because you can add shims. If they are over then they are useless in my opinion.

View matt garcia's profile

matt garcia

#4 posted 10-26-2009 04:14 AM

I love my Forrest Dado King!!

-- Matt Garcia Wannabe Period Furniture Maker, Houston TX

View thiel's profile

thiel

359 posts in 2043 days

#5 posted 10-26-2009 05:19 AM

FYI… I have the cheapie Freud set (the one in the plastic tote) and I honestly couldn’t be happier. A little less than $100 and nice flat dadoes.

-- Laziness minus Apathy equals Efficiency

View reymundo42's profile

reymundo42

#6 posted 10-26-2009 05:28 AM

Hey, at least you’ve got a good table saw!

-- Life is short...we should hurry to do good.

View cstrang's profile

cstrang

1786 posts in 1919 days

#7 posted 10-26-2009 03:28 PM

I have the Delta version of this dado set, it is basically the same thing only with a different case as they are both owned by Black & Decker, I paid about $145 for my set and for the price I think it has been pretty good to me so far, I bought it about a year and a half ago and it still gives a superior cut for me.

-- A hammer dangling from a wall will bang and sound like work when the wind blows the right way.

5387 posts in 1983 days

#8 posted 10-26-2009 05:22 PM

I have the Oshlun 6” set and have no clue what Bat Ears you are talking about on the Oshlun set. Mine cuts laser sharp, square dadoes.

As far as being undersized slightly, they all are, or most of the Dado sets are undersized, that is why they come with shims. Setup of your dado stack includes using your caliper to make sure you have the size you really want.

The undersize cutters are, not remarkably, meant to work with undersized lumber, such as the 23/32” plywood that is all over the place now…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View Joe's profile

Joe

#9 posted 10-26-2009 08:43 PM

I also have the Oshlun 6” set and I don’t know what they are talking about with the bat ears?

-- Senior Chief

View hunter71's profile

hunter71

2155 posts in 1938 days

#10 posted 10-27-2009 01:50 AM

A good saw will make a difference.

-- A childs smile is payment enough.

View John's profile

John

#11 posted 10-28-2009 03:28 AM

thanks for the review – I picked up this set not too long ago and since I haven’t used it yet I will try to return it based on your review.

-- John - Central PA - http://affyx.wordpress.com

#12 posted 10-29-2009 04:05 AM

In all fairness, I should have measured the set and did some test cuts right away. Sometimes few bad batches go out.
On the other hand. Freud has sets in this price range and Oshlun seems to be reasonably priced @ 73.00

View knotscott's profile

knotscott

#13 posted 11-06-2009 05:57 AM

Any dado set that uses an ATB grind on the outside cutters (which is nearly all of them) will leave small grooves at the edge of the cut because the points of the beveled tips protrude slightly beyond the flat teeth of the inside chippers. This is an intentional design choice in order to reduce tearout by the outside cutters. The steeper the bevel, the lower the tearout, but the bigger the groove. I often hear of people who get “perfectly flat” bottoms on their dados, but I believe they’re mistaken and have overlooked the small grooves “bat ears” caused by the outside cutters….look closely. They likely have dados with “nearly flat” bottoms, but unless your outside cutters use a flat top grind (FTG), the bat ears will exist to some extent, but if your outside cutters do have a flat top grind, you’ll get more tearout on crosscuts….never a free lunch. Some sets like the Dadonator use a combination of ATB and FTG teeth on the outside cutters to reduce bat ears. A straight router bit will leave a perfectly flat bottom, but offers a different set of disadvantages (refer back to the “free lunch” principle ;-))

I had the DW7670 for about year and got really good results with it…better than with my SD208 that had less teeth, but not as good as the premium higher tooth dado sets like the Dadonator and Systimatic, and I suspect the Forrest, Ridge Carbide, and Freud SD508. I wonder if your teeth were on the dull side when you received the set.

View FishRman's profile

FishRman

#14 posted 11-23-2013 09:13 PM

FYI: The DW7670 set is on sale at grizzly right now for $79.95.