Resharpening- W.D. Quinn Saw Co.

Review by HassanMirza posted 06-02-2017 03:04 PM 2595 views 4 times favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Resharpening- W.D. Quinn Saw Co. Resharpening- W.D. Quinn Saw Co. Resharpening- W.D. Quinn Saw Co. Click the pictures to enlarge them

I had a chance to go see the W.D Quinn Saw Co. located in St. Louis, MO. I was looking for a place that would resharpen saw blades, only place that I could find was Woodcraft, when friend told me about W.D Quinn. I got in touch with them and Joseph (who runs the company along with his brother was very helpful). He offered to show me around if I was interested and I jumped at the chance to go. They have an amazing state of the art facility, this is not a bunch of guys that are covered in metal dust in some dark and workshop (not that there is anything wrong with that). They have these amazing machines that that are fully automated to get the most precise resharpening you can get on a blade. They have a bunch of Vollmer machines that they use to resharpen the blades after doing some research on the machines, it is basically the best machines you can buy. These are the same machines that are being used by Forrest, Freud, and other major blade makers. They have blades coming in from all over the place, not only do they make their own blades but most of their business is focused on resharpening. They if you send in your precious and you have happened to have lost a tooth they will actually replace the tooth. Their prices are extremely affordable. I was looking to upgrade the Blade for my 12’ Bosch Glide Miter Saw from the flimsy one that comes with the saw. I was thinking about getting a Forrest Chopmaster but after digging online about W.D. Quinn Saw Co. I saw that a lot of Frame shops are using their blades in their shops, and I mean Miter Corners and clean cuts is how they make their living so those guys would know about a good blade. So I decided to pick up 12” x 80 tooth blade for the Miter Saw and 10”x 40 tooth (Their version of the Woodworker II) for the table saw. Joseph explained to be that the amount of Carbide that is on each of the tooth is how many times the blade can be resharpened and one of the first things I noticed about their blades is the huge carbide teeth. I am very excited about the blades, and I will be trying them out for about a month of so and then I will review them as well. If you are in the in the area you should take your business to a place like this instead of giving your money to a big brand business. I have no affiliation with them and I am not being paid for anything. I am just supporting a local business that actual people are depending on. I am attaching their website and address on the bottom. Have a good one!

W.D. Quinn Saw Co.
1111 Belgrove Drive
Saint Louis, MO 63137
(314) 869-5353
(800) 654-8774

View wuddoc's profile

wuddoc

#1 posted 06-02-2017 03:28 PM

Great review about a family run sharpening business. The pictures indicate a well run professional service operation.

We also use a family run sharpening business located in NW Alabama. They offer great service for a reasonable price. We learned about them by visiting a cabinet shop and asked who they used for tool sharpening.

-- Wuddoc

#2 posted 06-02-2017 03:33 PM

I took bunch of pictures unfortunately I could only add 3.

#3 posted 06-02-2017 03:37 PM

#4 posted 06-02-2017 03:38 PM

View Bill White's profile

Bill White

#5 posted 06-04-2017 06:57 PM

Wuddoc, I’m in Tupelo, and the local sharpening service is “primitive” at best. Do they do hand saws? Where is the service you use?
PM if you don’t want to go public.
I’ve got too much invested to use a crappy service.
Bill

-- bill@magraphics.us

View CL810's profile

CL810

#6 posted 06-04-2017 10:05 PM

Thanks for the review Hassan! I like doing business with companies like this.

-- "The only limits to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today." - FDR

#7 posted 06-05-2017 02:19 PM

CL810, no worries! I like to work with smaller pro shops as well.

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

#8 posted 06-07-2017 12:10 AM

Whats this? where are the dwarfs busy filing away.

A big capital outlay for little initial return, however the precision would make you come back again.

As long as we cut wood they will have a job.
There is a similar family business here called Peacock saws, They have a two day PU and turnaround how good is that!

I have never had to opportunity to visit them but I should make an effort next work task trip.

Hey Hassan BTW do some work on your home page when you get a chance, it/you deserve it

-- Regards Robert

View 489tad's profile

489tad

#9 posted 06-07-2017 12:22 PM

Thank you for posting this!

-- Dan, Naperville IL, I.G.N.

#10 posted 06-07-2017 04:28 PM

Rob, I am sorry I don’t follow about doing work on my home page please explain it to me.

Thanks

#11 posted 06-07-2017 04:29 PM

Dan,

you are welcome! You should really check them out, since you are in Naperville you can mail your stuff and they will resharpen and mail it back.

View nbgarageshop's profile

nbgarageshop

#12 posted 06-07-2017 08:26 PM

Do they do planer knives as well? I’m only about 30 minutes from St. Louis and am looking for a place to bring some knives.

-- TZ, Southern IL

#13 posted 06-07-2017 08:28 PM

I would give them a call and find out to be honest, I have attached the number at the bottom on the review. hope it helps

View EdL's profile

EdL

#14 posted 06-07-2017 08:35 PM

Hassan,

I was delighted to see a review of Quinn. I have used them for over 10 years and wouldn’t take my blades anywhere else. While it is helpful that I live in St Louis and can simply drop of a batch when needed, I have always been impressed with their friendly service and quality work. BTW… they have also sharpened my planer blades.

Top notch… they deserve all your kind words.

—Ed Lanigan

-- --- Ed

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

#15 posted 06-07-2017 09:20 PM

Hassan,

It looks good now I wondered at the time where you were from. is that your family dog?
I will have to see if I can get to visit Peacock Saws and do a complementary Post

-- Regards Robert