Faithfull No.7 Jointing Plane

Review by steliart posted 06-01-2017 09:52 AM 2342 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Faithfull No.7 Jointing Plane Faithfull No.7 Jointing Plane Faithfull No.7 Jointing Plane Click the pictures to enlarge them

Faithfull No.7 Jointing Plane
The other day I had a HUGE surprise and an unexpected gesture that left me speechless from a buddy and fellow woodworker Bill Giglio AKA builtinbkyn who send me an incredible gift… a Faithfull No.7 Jointing Plane.
WOW… a huge thank you Bill !!!!!!!

The plane out of the box it looks massive and strong with cast iron body, brass locking screw and tuning knob and wooden handles. I would say a very good quality.
As expected the plane was not ready at all out of the box but it was nothing that a good sharpening could not easily fix. Its base needed very little flatting (even if I didn’t it would not matter) and that happily surprised me. Spend about an hour cleaning it from the oil and flattening/sharpening and it was good to go… it worked like a charm !!!
I would say that for its category is a very good product and it really put a smile on my face.

God bless you !!!
Stelios AKA Steliart

-- Stelios L.A. Stavrinides: - I am not so rich to buy cheap tools, but... necessity is the mother of inventions !!!

View  woodshaver Tony C   's profile

woodshaver Tony C

#1 posted 06-01-2017 11:16 AM

Wow! What a great gift Stelios and nice story too. I’ll bet you were smiling the whole time while setting her up for service!

-- St Augustine FL, Experience is the sum of our mistakes!

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

#2 posted 06-01-2017 12:51 PM

Cleaning up a plane and making it a user again is a good feeling, like rehabbing any tool. Nice job. I redone a wooden liberty plane recently and it stands proud near the workbench.

-- Dave, Downers Grove, Il. -------- When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams.

View pottz's profile

pottz

#3 posted 06-01-2017 01:47 PM

wow steli youve got some pretty nice friends,congrats.

-- sawdust the bigger the pile the bigger my smile-larry,so cal.

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

#4 posted 06-01-2017 02:04 PM

Wonderful.

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

View builtinbkyn's profile

builtinbkyn

#5 posted 06-01-2017 06:04 PM

Stelios, I’m very happy to have been of help. I’m sure we’ll see good things produced with that big iron. I want to thank you for the wonderful logo you designed for me. Now I have to find a maker for a small branding iron :)

-- Bill, Yo!......in Brooklyn & Steel City :)

View WayneC's profile

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

32087 posts in 3036 days

#7 posted 06-01-2017 06:39 PM

What a wonderful surprise gift this was. It is a beautiful plane.

helluvawreck aka Charles

-- helluvawreck aka Charles, http://woodworkingexpo.wordpress.com

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

#8 posted 06-01-2017 08:23 PM

Looks like an okay plane for an import. Did you need to lap the back of the blade?

Bill, my favorite maker of branding irons is buckeye engraving. Here is another source, likely cheaper: https://brandingirons.com/

-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)

#9 posted 06-01-2017 08:37 PM

Thank you ALL for commenting !!!
And I feel very privileged to be part of this community !!!

#10 posted 06-01-2017 08:42 PM

- bobasaurus

As I have said my friend for its category is a very good product.
But yes the blade iron was only cut at its bevel from the machine or something with a very big burl so I had to sharpen and lap the back… it took me a while but it was not too but :)

View builtinbkyn's profile

builtinbkyn

#11 posted 06-01-2017 08:54 PM

- bobasaurus

Thanks for the branding iron sources. Now I have to make stuff worthy of the brand.

Oh the plane isn’t an import. Well not to the US anyway. It went from England to Cyprus LOL

-- Bill, Yo!......in Brooklyn & Steel City :)

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

#12 posted 06-01-2017 10:07 PM

Is it English-made? I was thinking Chinese based on the website and name.

-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)

#13 posted 06-01-2017 10:21 PM

Is it English-made? I was thinking Chinese based on the website and name.

It’s English made from what I see on the box

View Roger's profile

20949 posts in 2974 days

#14 posted 06-01-2017 11:08 PM

WowZa! A gr8 gift. You’ll get a good workout with that one.