worth it.

Review by andy1000 posted 10-20-2009 02:49 PM 3395 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
worth it. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

my dust deputy works great too. the shopvac is clean.
i strapped my dd to the shopvac with a rachet strap. i had to cut 2 hourglass-shaped spacers (out of 2×4) to get a good and even ‘lock’ between the cylindrical bucket and the cylindrical shopvac. (trace the bottom of the 5 gal bucket for the bottom spacer, and the top of the bucket for the top spacer). i mostly just pick it up to move it, but it also rolls/drags ok.
i also suck a small amount of water straight into the dd before i dump it, to keep the dust down (not through your hose).
it’s not cheap, but it’s worth it.

View BigSissy's profile

BigSissy

#1 posted 10-21-2009 05:51 AM

I agree, the DD saves time and money. I got one for my CT22 and one for my shop vac. Mounting on the CT22 was very easy, but I’m still trying to figure out the best to mount it on my shop vac. Would love to see a pic of your ratchet strap.

#2 posted 10-21-2009 05:56 AM

View studiousmatt's profile

studiousmatt

#3 posted 10-25-2009 03:16 PM

I picked one up the other day. it is actually really amazing. a simple design that works. the only suggestion that I have would be to not mount in on your shop vac unless you are sure that it wont tip with the added weight on the side. mine tends to tip really badly with the system atached to the body of the shop vac, so I am gong to mount it on a crap piece of ply with some casters attached so I can roll it as a unit.

#4 posted 10-25-2009 03:28 PM

I’ve read about them tipping. Mine is strapped to a moderately big rigid shopvac, and the bottom of the 5 gal bucket actually rests on the floor, so thats probably why it doesnt fall over—but i can still roll it. (I cant drag it around by the vac hose any more though, since it is attached to the DD)
I really put it to the test by vacuuming out my fireplace ash…it graded a solid B—there was no significant ash in the shopvac, but there was enough to put a fine coating on the filter, and to coat the hoses. I also dumped the DD bucket right after, so i didnt determine if more ash would transfer through—probably not, after it had a layer of sawdust on top of it—i dont think i will do it again, or i will use a dedicated minivac for the fireplace.

View jcsterling's profile

jcsterling

#5 posted 10-27-2009 03:16 AM

fantastic collection of slabs you have…Oh yeah, thanks for the review.

-- John , Central PA , www.jcsterling.com on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/JC-Sterling-fine-furniture/104430802928776

View Andy Brownell's profile

Andy Brownell

144 posts in 2004 days

#6 posted 11-02-2009 11:04 PM

Where did you get the slabs?

-- Andy Brownell

#7 posted 11-03-2009 01:11 AM

I get my slabs from Bob, and other sawmills. (I used to say I got them from trees.) Need a slab or 2 or 10? they are fun and pretty easy to get looking good. check out NaturalEdgeAsheville.com for slabs.

I had a thought on strapping the DD bucket onto the Shopvac. Styrofoam (1.5-2”) would work well, as the ‘hourglass’ shaped spacers between the 2 cylinders, ie dd bucket and shopvac container.
ONIENDA GUYS—HOW ABOUT SENDING ALONG SOME HOURGLASS SHAPED PIECES OF STYROFOAM (AND A RACHET STRAP)?.

#8 posted 11-04-2009 01:25 AM

I have a pic of the strapped DD. can’t get it posted. Can you copy and paste on this website? sorry, newbie.

#9 posted 11-04-2009 08:33 PM