Harbor Freight 2 hp dust collector modification

Review by wuddoc posted 05-30-2017 01:28 AM 5872 views 2 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Harbor Freight 2 hp dust collector modification Harbor Freight 2 hp dust collector modification Harbor Freight 2 hp dust collector modification Click the pictures to enlarge them

A number of LJ’s have written about the quality, problems, solutions and modifications concerning the Harbor Freight 2 HP 70 gal. dust collector. We have encountered all the same kinds of problems and decided to modify the unit.

Minimizing equipment footprint is always a concern due to shop space. The HF DC took up additional space because the dust collector dual 4” plastic dust inputs extended out over the carts side footprint. In addition the base was flimsy as other LJ have indicated.

When we saw how LJ GJK combined the HF 24” x 36” Folding Platform Truck with the HF Dust Collector. That inspired us to modify the configuration of the dust collector and eliminate the flimsy base, then see if we could bring the dual 4” plastic “Y” into the bases rectangular footprint.

Our solution was to eliminate the entire original base and mount the DC unit parts directly onto the Platform Truck.

-- Wuddoc

View wuddoc's profile

wuddoc

View dday's profile

dday

#1 posted 05-30-2017 04:19 PM

That’s a cool mod. This DC has become the hobbyist’s go to DC for “personalizing”.

View agallant's profile

agallant

#2 posted 05-30-2017 05:11 PM

I mounted my in a corner of the shop and vented it outside. That greatly lessened the footprint.

View Kelly's profile

Kelly

2049 posts in 3023 days

#3 posted 05-30-2017 08:00 PM

Because I bought mine to experiment with lawn vacuuming, in conjunction with a Super Dust Deputy cyclone, I had to modify mine so it could be hauled out into the yard. This was my approach:

NOTE: When not doing lawn duty, my HF collector sits at my miter. Generally, I’m pretty happy with its performance. It won’t replace my other two collectors, but it’s a vast improvement over the little one horse Delta I started the lawn cleaning (pine cone vacuuming) experiment with.

View playingwithmywood's profile

playingwithmywood

#4 posted 05-31-2017 06:16 AM

I just screwed a plywood under my base and then screwed 2×4s to the base and my whole frankincollector sits on it and rolls good http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/7842

View Kelly's profile

Kelly

2049 posts in 3023 days

#5 posted 05-31-2017 01:56 PM

If I’d seen Wuddoc’s approach, I could have still had a sturdy cart and in a fraction of the time and at a reasonable cost. Too, I think his cart approach would accommodate the larger wheels just fine.

For dragging the unit out into the lower yard, I should, probably, add a couple rods between the handle and flimsy bag supports (just cause).

What do those carts run?

View Roger's profile

20931 posts in 2883 days

#6 posted 06-02-2017 12:08 AM

Well done

View Kelster58's profile

Kelster58

#7 posted 06-23-2017 05:07 PM

Pretty cool…..I’m rethinking a HF dust collector!

-- K. Stone “Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ― Benjamin Franklin