Silky Woodboy Dozuki Saw, 240mm ( X-FINE Teeth )

Review by Rich posted 05-30-2017 12:41 AM 1954 views 1 time favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Silky Woodboy Dozuki Saw, 240mm ( X-FINE Teeth ) Silky Woodboy Dozuki Saw, 240mm ( X-FINE Teeth ) Silky Woodboy Dozuki Saw, 240mm ( X-FINE Teeth ) Click the pictures to enlarge them

I picked this up on a clearance table at my local Woodcraft for half price. It is a beautiful saw, and the folding feature means I can toss it in my workbench drawer and not worry about damaging the teeth.

It cuts very smoothly, and feels good in my hand. As can be seen in the photo below, it has a second locking position allowing the handle to be up and out of the way for flat cuts.

Even though I got it for half price, if I lost it, I’d buy another one without hesitation.

Specs: 240mm, 32 teeth per 30mm — approximately 9-1/2 inches and 27 tpi

I even found that Roy Underhill himself gave this saw 5-stars on the Silky web site.

View Rick_M's profile

Rick_M

#1 posted 05-30-2017 07:21 AM

Looks like a nice saw. I have a couple pull saws and can’t overcome my desire to push, instead of pull. Guess I’m a western saw kinda guy :) What was the closeout price?

-- http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

#2 posted 05-30-2017 12:57 PM

I think it was in the neighborhood of $50. Funny you mention not getting used to pulling. When I was a little kid, I always went for the hack saw no matter what I was cutting because regular saws were clumsy. I’m talking about like 6 years old. I eventually got the hang of western saws, but when the Japanese ones came along years ago, I was a happy camper.

I have several, and didn’t really need this one, but it’s a great saw. I’m probably the only guy on LJ that buys things they don’e need just because they look cool.

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

#3 posted 05-31-2017 12:05 AM

I would imagine there are a very high percentage of us Lumber Jocks that are smitten by the luxurious lines of a tool now and again…to the point of taking them home and promptly never finding that instance where they’re truly needed.

-- Scott, Irmo SC

#4 posted 05-31-2017 12:50 AM

For sure, Scott. Funny thing is, if it’s a nice tool and I don’t use it enough to warrant its cost, I’m still happy to have it. It’s those ones that look like they are going to be great, but are poorly made and useless that I wish I hadn’t bought.

In this case though, this saw has become my go-to one to grab for everyday use. I have a Gyokucho 372 that’s a superior performer that I use for more important cuts, but it’s just so handy to open the drawer and grab this one that I use it most.

View JRsgarage's profile

JRsgarage

#5 posted 05-31-2017 01:37 AM

thanks for the review. i was unaware silky made these. i have couple of their folding pruning saws and they are great saws for their purpose. definitely a step above my bahco in quality. very nice looking saw…i’m sure it cuts well

-- Two is One, One is None

View jerkylips's profile

jerkylips

#6 posted 11-28-2017 07:23 PM

Silky Woodboy sounds like a sketchy resort in Thailand. Sorry, couldn’t resist.. Saw looks great, though.