Lie-Nielsen Hand Tool Event - Indy

Review by Walnut_Weasel posted 1745 days ago 3446 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Lie-Nielsen Hand Tool Event - Indy No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This Saturday (10/17/09) I attended the Lie-Nielsen Hand Tool Event in Indianapolis at the Herron School of Art. I think it is worth mentioning right off the bat is that I am extremely new to woodworking and that alone may bias my opinions stated below. I had two main reason for attending this event: 1) Learn as much as possible about everything available, and 2) Get my hands on some Lie-Nielsen equipment to see what it is like to use high quality tools. Admission to the event was free! I did have to pay for parking (only $4.50 for 4 hours), but that was something out of the control of Lie-Nielsen as it was on the IUPUI campus in Indianapolis and nearly all parking the area is designated to the IUPUI students. Not to mention a national FFA event was also taking place in the city on that day. The area designated for the event was a bit small and there were not a lot of demonstrators – but considering it was free one cannot complain in my opinion. I learned a wealth of information about planing, sharpening, and joint construction.

Demonstrators at the event included: A rep from Lie-Nielsen, Chris Schwarz (editor of popular woodworking), George Walker (author and contributing writer for popular woodworking), Kevin Drake (Glen-Drake Toolworks), Jameel Abraham (Benchcrafted), Andrew Lunn (Eccentric Toolworks), and a rep from Marc Adams School of Woodworking.

A few of the demonstrators really stood out in my opinion and I would like to comment.

Angie from Lie-Nielsen (I hope I remember her name correctly!)
As soon as I entered the event, Lie-Nielsen had a bench set up with a piece of walnut that contained a couple of knots about the size of a half-dollar. During my time at the booth I was able to work the walnut with a bevel-up jack plane with both a standard and toothed blade (one of my main reasons for attending). I am sure this will not surprise anyone, but the quality of the tool was amazing and extremely easy to use – even for someone with almost no experience with planing. No tear-out around knots! Angie went out of her way answering questions from everyone at the show and her knowledge of planing and sharping was exceptional – as was her personality. You can tell she has been doing this for awhile. Nearly all of Lie-Nielsen’s tools were on display and ready for use. I was also able to see several of their tools demonstrated. In addition Angie walked through the Lie-Nielsen method for sharpening, tuning, and using the tools. All and all it was exactly what one would expect from the manufacture of such high quality tools.

Chris Schwarz
As one would expect from a hands-on author and editor of a wood working magazine, Chris knows his stuff!! However, one may not expect an editor to be an exception speaker and story teller – but Chris is. During the time I spent at Chris’ booth he fielded questions from a swarm of people and demonstrated his method of sharpening plane blades. In addition, he demonstrated the difference in surface finish between a well tuned plane and a card scraper. I was alway under the impression the a scraper left a cleaner surface, but boy I was wrong! It is very subtle and likely not worth fussing about, but you can see a difference when looking at the surface when light is reflecting across it.

George Walker
George was there to discuss furniture design – something that is over my head at this point while I am still learning to cut joints, etc. However, George is such a down-to-earth guy and easy to talk to that I was still able to learn a lot of good stuff from him. He made several points regarding using proportions in design rather than measurements that really opened my eyes.

Overall I was very pleased with the event and I would recommend that you attend if you get the opportunity (did I mention it was free??) – though I am sure that the experienced woodworker would not spend 3 1/2 hours there as I did! If you are interested, to see if they will be in your area, check out their site. They will be in CT, MD, MA, and AZ over the next few months.

I would like to give a big thanks to Lie-Nielsen for putting on the event!!

-- James - www.walnutweasel.wordpress.com

View Walnut_Weasel's profile

Walnut_Weasel

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

1195 posts in 2078 days

Thanks for posting this… I’m new to woodworking too… I would enjoy such an event.

Ironically, they have an event in Fredrick, MD Nov 13 & 14 which is directly on my way to Pennsylvania from Delaware. We normally make a rest stop at the exit you would take to get to the event! I would not know about the exotic lumber store located there without you making this post. Now, I can park the Mrs at the Costco store while I travel up the road for wood and tool shopping. Exciting…

Thanks again…

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

View garysharp's profile

garysharp

114 posts in 2083 days

Thanks for you time in doing a review. I have went to the Bay Area (SF CA) for the last two years and loved it, so everyone should go to one if it is nearby.

-- Garysharp "When sharpening woodworking tools, good enough,...isn't" “Your life’s complete only when your knowledge passes on”.

View Jim's profile

Jim

142 posts in 1925 days

Man, and here I was bored in Kokomo on Saturday. Wish I’d have known that was going on, an hours drive would have been well worth it! I really want to take some of the classes there at The Indianapolis Art Center. I’ve seen their wood shop, and if not for the long drive, I’d sign up in a heartbeat.

-- -- Jim - Kokomo, Indiana

View Marc5's profile

Marc5

304 posts in 1945 days

I was able to go to the tool event in Chicago this year and like you was very pleased and would recommend a visit to anyone interested in high quality tools and getting some tips during the demonstrations and talking to the pros.

-- Marc

View JasonIndy's profile

JasonIndy

186 posts in 2038 days

Jim, I took a class at the IAC last fall and I’ve signed up for another. If you’re a beginner like me, it’s a lot of fun. I’ve got a half-dozen thick books on woodworking with detailed illustrations and all that, but I probably learned more in class than I ever have reading through my books…

View PineInTheAsh's profile

PineInTheAsh

Glad to see eloquent submissions of the important L-N events and simply not another puff piece.

—Peter