Cutting Mat

Review by dustyal posted 10-17-2009 10:14 PM 2090 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Cutting Mat No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I originally bought this mat for my mother-in-law who used it for her sewing. My wife also used one for her picture mat cutting. They work well with the rotary cutters and mat cutter. I find it extremely useful for woodworking when laying out projects, doing dry fits and glue ups, etc. I would think it might come in handy for veneer work and other projects where you might want a larger protected surface that won’t mar the finished product.

It is hard enough to stay flat and smooth yet soft enough to be protective. It is suppose to be “self-healing” when used with cutters. We haven’t done much cuttuing on this one but we see no cut marks. Regular wood glue like Titebond II scraped off easily. The grid lines give a quick reference for squareness during assembly and I found the 45 and 60 degree angle lines to be helpful.

It was very helpful in wrapping presents in gift paper. I could never cut those rolls straight…

They are rather expensive, but best of all it protected the top of my wife’s antique tilt-top table that I converted to a temporary work surface for wood projects—much to her chagrin.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

#1 posted 10-17-2009 10:16 PM

A good way to stay out of trouble Al

15304 posts in 1934 days

#2 posted 10-19-2009 01:59 AM

These are useful I use one as well

View Bret's profile

Bret

#3 posted 10-19-2009 04:14 PM

I agree. I’ve used mine with veneer on a few small projects and just love it. It’s hard to store since they’re not supposed to be stored upright, but I wedge mine between a couple pieces of MDF and that seems to keep it in good shape.

-- Woodworking is easy as 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510...

View Frankie Talarico Jr.'s profile

Frankie Talarico Jr.

#4 posted 10-22-2009 09:06 PM

I have one of these and its a multi use tool. I reccomend them for anyone that makes boxes.

Like bret sais I use it for veneers that I want tight tolerance with. Wheel cutter actually cuts well, without tearing.

I also use it for velvet to line the bottom of jewelry boxes and stuff like that.

A+ product

-- Live by what you believe, not what they want you to believe.

View VanessaG's profile

VanessaG

6 posts in 2036 days

#5 posted 10-27-2009 12:04 AM

Such a brilliant idea, thanks DustyAl!