Nice rule(s) for the $$

Review by Craftsman on the lake posted 05-12-2017 11:50 PM 1067 views 1 time favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Nice rule(s) for the $$ Nice rule(s) for the $$ No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them
I wanted some accurate rules now that I have my new Sawstop that seems to have a pretty accurate scale on the fence slider. I took a chance on these relatively inexpensive ones on Amazon. I was surprised to see that they are nicely made. I put the longest along the tape on my fence slider and it lines up exactly, so either both or neither are accurate! They come bundled in three sizes (18in, 12in, 6in) for $11.99. Although I ordered them a week ago for 10.99. Go figure. I used pictures from Amazon because when I tried to photograph them they just washed out as the shiny steel reflected the light.
  1. First of all they are stiff. Not much flexibility but still fairly thin. Stainless steel too.
  2. The end of the rule starts at zero. Some rules have a line that is slightly up from the end that is the zero point.
  3. The numbers and lines are all etched with the inked recessed into the etchings. When you run your thumbnail over them it makes a buzzing sound as the etchings are fairly deep.
  4. The numbers and lines are crisp and long enough for older eyes… like mine.
  5. Each rule has inches on one edge and centimeters on the other edge.
  6. Each rule is marked off in 1/16 ths with small sections in 1/32 nds and 1/64 ths. The smallest in 16ths and 32nds.
  7. The backs have an extensive conversions of fractions to metrics. Not really useful to me but may be to others.

I usually use a tool for awhile before I review it. These are simply rules, so I examined them and checked them for accuracy. If I find differently when I begin using them I’ll be back to let you know.

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

View EEngineer's profile

EEngineer

#1 posted 05-14-2017 08:37 PM

Grizzly 12in rule $1.95

As a matter of fact, I routed out a couple of tracks and embedded two of these in my drill press table. They are as accurate as my machinists’ dial calipers can check them.

-- "Find out what you cannot do and then go do it!"

View jonah's profile

jonah

#2 posted 05-15-2017 11:59 PM

Thanks for the review. Things like those rulers are why I never pay a lot of money for measuring and layout tools. The $4 plastic speed square I reviewed a few years ago was dead square. Same with my $10 I-Gaging double squares, my $10 framing square, and every other layout tool I own. There’s literally no point in spending a lot for layout tools unless there is some compelling ergonomic problem they solve.

View htl's profile

htl

#3 posted 05-19-2017 08:36 PM

“There’s literally no point in spending a lot for layout tools unless

If and when you get one of the free tape measures from Harbor freight be sure to check them with your other tapes, the last couple I got were way off.
But for free and you uses it as your only measurement tool all is good.

-- There's a hundred ways to do anything, alot depends on the tools at hand.

View jonah's profile

jonah

#4 posted 05-19-2017 10:53 PM

The free HF tape might be off, but for sure a $7 stanley tape isn’t. There’s no reason to spend $25 for some fancy pants overmolded Dewalt tape, for example. Worse are layout tools, where you have vendors like Woodpeckers charging $150 for a t-square.