Great Little Lock

Review by Ron Aylor posted 05-12-2017 05:01 PM 1184 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Little Lock Great Little Lock No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I needed a lock for my recent William & Mary Prie Dieu build. Woodcraft of Atlanta came through for me with the JG Eldelen Full Mortise Chest Lock (Item No. 130261). Easily installed, very sturdy with smooth operation; a great little lock.

I did not use the strike plate in my installation, as I opted for a handmade angled wooden version. If you chose to use the strike plate, do so with care, as it is very thin and bends easily. The escutcheon looks really nice, especially with the William & Mary style. The escutcheon pins, however, are a bit long and will need some attention. I had to shorten mine by two-thirds, given that I installed the lock in the edge of 3/4 inch thick stock. The key is nice in that it has some heft to it … feels good in one’s hand.

All in all, a great buy at $9.99. I will definitely be buying this lock, again!

-- Ron in Lilburn, Georgia.  Knowing how to use a tool is more important than the tool in and of itself.

View papadan's profile

papadan

#1 posted 05-12-2017 06:32 PM

Thanks for the review Ron, I need a lock like that to replace a broken one.

-- Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

#2 posted 05-12-2017 07:00 PM

Thanks for the review Ron, I need a lock like that to replace a broken one.

- papadan

I hope this works for you. I did not mention above, but this lock come with Phillips head screws … if you need slotted head as I did, you will have to provide.

View papadan's profile

papadan

#3 posted 05-12-2017 07:15 PM

Thanks Ron, I have plenty of flat heads around here, probably reuse the ones in the chest. I refurbished this chest in 1974 for my girlfriend and we will have our 42nd anniversary in June.

-- Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

#4 posted 05-12-2017 07:41 PM

- papadan

Congratulations!

View Oldtool's profile

Oldtool

#5 posted 05-12-2017 09:34 PM

Ron,
So this lock impressed you, good to know, always looking for another source for hardware.
Can’t understand how the strike was so thin, doesn’t seem that it would stand up to the test of time.
Thanks for the tip on Eldelen, I’ll check them out.

-- "I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The point is to bring them the real facts." - Abraham Lincoln

#6 posted 05-12-2017 11:39 PM

Ron,
Can t understand how the strike was so thin, doesn’t seem that it would stand up to the test of time.
Thanks for the tip on Eldelen, I ll check them out.

- Oldtool

Tom – I found that strange, myself. Not sure what the manufacturer was thinking. The lock plate is 7/64” thick while the strike plate is but 1/32” thick. The lock plate measures 3/8” x 3-1/8” where the strike plate measures 5/16” x 2-3/16”. Woodcraft has another lock labeled, Small Box Lock, and it’s lock plate indeed measures 5/16” x 2-3/16”. I’m now wondering if I ended up with a mispackaged lock. Good thing I wanted to make my own strike plate!

Strike plate debacle aside … it’s still a great little lock!

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

6922 posts in 2024 days

#7 posted 05-13-2017 06:58 PM

I’ve purchased this same lock twice from Rockler (only I paid quite a bit more for it).

I’m building hope chests for my daughters and these locks fit the ticket nicely. The first was installed in a Red Oak chest, and I did use the strike plate. haven’t had any problems with it and didn’t think it too thin.

The second one is on my bench right now, waiting to be installed in a Mahogany chest that just needs a couple more coats of lacquer.

I agree with the OP that these are nice lock sets. When I get around to daughter #3, I’ll buy it at Woodcraft though.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

#8 posted 05-13-2017 11:06 PM

... did use the strike plate. haven t had any problems with it and didn t think it too thin.

- Mainiac Matt

Matt – Was your strike plate the same length and thickness as the lock plate?

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

6922 posts in 2024 days

#9 posted 05-16-2017 01:32 AM

I believe it was.

There’s not a lot of metal on either side of the rectangular cutout though.

I mounted it into a shallow mortice.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

#10 posted 05-16-2017 11:14 AM

I believe it was.

There s not a lot of metal on either side of the rectangular cutout though.

I mounted it into a shallow mortice.

- Mainiac Matt

Thanks, Matt. I’ll rest in the belief that my lock was mispackaged … just need to pay closer attention next time!

View AlexanderS's profile

AlexanderS

#11 posted 05-16-2017 04:38 PM

Thanks for the recommendation. A lot of us need a good lock and I would rather have an honest review than to just take a chance and hope it works. (I hate returning products.)

Alexander