Bosch 1250DEVS 6-1/2-Amp 6-Inch Random Orbit Sander

Review by Ken90712 posted 05-12-2017 08:27 AM 5900 views 0 times favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Bosch 1250DEVS 6-1/2-Amp 6-Inch Random Orbit Sander No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I make a lot of cutting boards over 300 thus far. I have always kicked around getting a 6 inch sander. I have 3 different 5” sanders and tons of 5 inch sandpaper. I kept hearing that a 6 inch has roughly 44% more surface area than a 5.

I was looking at the Bosch and the Festool. Blondie gave me the green light on the Festool even with the 580 price tag. For some reason I just couldn’t do it. Maybe I’m afraid of the addiction that will come from it LOL

I got my Bosch on Amazon prime. I was excited and started using it instantly. Wow what a difference this make. So much faster and I could kick my self for not doing this sooner. The only problem was the noise it was loud and something just didn’t sound right. So I exchanged it on amazon, the new one was at my door the next day. ( Love Amazon Prime). This one is much better still a little loud but not like the other one.

Love the turbo mode, after the boards come out of the drum sander the first initial sanding goes a lot quicker.

The dust collection works well, the handle position is kind of funky.

Little info from the page figured they already wrote this so why would I try.

This Bosch Random Orbit Sander features a powerful 6-1/2-Amp motor which provides heavy sanding and extended tool life
• Includes soft start for reduced start-up torque, variable speed to match speed to any work piece and vacuum port for dust free sanding
• Turbo Mode for aggressive, fast stock removal, random orbit mode for fine swirl-free sanding
• Constant response circuitry maintains pad speed under heavy loads and protects against overload
• 6-by-12-Inch; 5.3-Pound; 1-year unconditional Bosch warranty

About the Bosch 1250DEVS Random Orbit Sander The 1250DEVS multiple-purpose sander from Bosch has two sanding modes: random orbit mode for normal stock removal or fine finishing, and an aggressive “Turbo” drive eccentric orbit mode that operates at five times the regular rate, in order to remove rougher stock. Its simple sanding mode selector switch quickly changes back and forth between the two modes, as your projects require it—and the powerful 6.5 amp variable speed motor (3,100 to 6,650 opm) matches the tool’s speed to the task, for a smooth result on all surfaces.

View degoose's profile

degoose

#1 posted 05-12-2017 09:24 AM

Great review… I on the other hand did succumb to the temptation of the Festool Rotex… AU$960.00 … IMHO it was well worth it… but now that I am no longer making timber cutting boards I feel I was a day late and a dollar short… lol….Should have bit the bullet 20 years ago… oh well… I still keep it to sand my timber laser engraved photos…

-- Don't drink and use power tools @ lasercreationsbylarry.com.au

View Monte Pittman's profile

Monte Pittman

25839 posts in 2091 days

#2 posted 05-12-2017 11:20 AM

Thanks for the review. Been thinking about one.

-- Mother Nature created it, I just assemble it.

View Woodwrecker's profile

Woodwrecker

#3 posted 05-12-2017 03:42 PM

I bought one of these a while back and love it.
I only use it on larger projects, and the only problem I’ve had with it is the switch for Turbo mode keeps shaking itself over to turbo mode from regular while running.
I’ve fixed that by sticking a piece of duct tape over the switch which keeps it from jumping from one mode to the other. I was going to exchange it but found this worked so kept the machine.
You are certainly right about the aggressiveness when it’s in turbo mode.
It goes through the wood like nobody’s business.
Good post brother.

-- Eric, central Florida / Utor praemia operibus duris

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#4 posted 05-12-2017 07:31 PM

I found out about how important Dust Control is while sanding some walnut…

I was bound to get the BEST sander I could get to control the dust and give me a good job at the same time…

I bit the bullet… I got the Mirka Deros and LOVE IT! A far as I can tell the dust collection is 100%!!

View lew's profile

lew

#5 posted 05-12-2017 11:26 PM

Thanks for the review, Ken!

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View DocSavage45's profile

DocSavage45

#6 posted 05-13-2017 01:14 AM

Ken,

I was thinking about a 6 ” and ended up buying a 5 inch Milwaukee. Have a lot of 5 inch hook and loop and the dust control connection seemed like a good option, It is similar on many newer sanders, but as Joe said “Thinking more about dust control” these days.

Thanks for the review and I’ll refer back when I’m ready to step up.

-- Cau Haus Designs, Thomas J. Tieffenbacher

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#7 posted 05-13-2017 06:00 AM

I forgot to mention that I had a huge supply of 5” 5 hole sandpaper disks…
Which work GREAT with the DEROS…. Worked out great… and the dust control was still 100%

I think the 5” gives one better control getting into the SPOTS, etc. where the 6” ones are not quite as flexible.

#8 posted 05-13-2017 01:39 PM

Thx for comments and feedback. I agree 100% on the things mentioned. I too have been thinking more and more on better dust control. This hooks up to my existing system in place and while I’m sure it’s not 100% it’s up there.
I have alot of 5 inch hook and loop as well. I will never stop using the 5 but initially sanding the cutting board through the beginning grits is saving me a ton of time. Part of me for not pulling the trigger on a festool I’ve been building my slush fund for a Oneway or Robust lathe. For a hobbiest these 2 come with a serious price tag.

Thx again guys.

View smozes's profile

smozes

#9 posted 05-13-2017 07:39 PM

I bought this too so I can have two functions in one sander. I use an oscillating tool for corners.

This thing is a beast. My only minor criticism is the dust port. It took me a while to find an adapter for it, one of the Rockler Dust Right small tool blue rubber adapters that they added to the kit only recently. With that, dust collection is very effective.

View mafe's profile

mafe

#10 posted 05-14-2017 07:47 PM

Thanks.
Best thoughts,
Mads

-- MAD F, the fanatical rhykenologist and vintage architect. Democraticwoodworking.

#11 posted 05-15-2017 02:05 PM

Smozes, I got lucky I was already using the rockler swivel hose kit. Didn’t realize the wax a small issue. Thx

View jonah's profile

jonah

#12 posted 05-15-2017 03:15 PM

Just a clarification: a 5” sander has ~15.7 square inches of surface area (area of a circle = pi times diameter). A 6” has ~18.8 square inches, or ~20% more area, not 44% more.

View ShaneA's profile

ShaneA

#13 posted 05-15-2017 04:30 PM

^ I don’t think that is the right formula. Area of 5” circle is ~78. Area of a 6” is ~113. 44% is accurate

Least that is what the interwebz tells me…

View Drew's profile

Drew

#14 posted 05-16-2017 09:12 PM

I have this sander and the festool ro150. This sander is hands down better than the festool. The ro150 rarely comes out of the box.
Save your money people!

-- TruCraftFurniture.com

#15 posted 05-17-2017 08:24 AM

Thx guys, Jonah area of a circle is Pi x radius squared.

Drew Thx That’s good to hear. I was really on the fence on this purchase. So far I’m happy though cheers