Great for uneven floors

Review by DannyBoy posted 10-14-2009 06:39 AM 3080 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great for uneven floors No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

From the start, I needed to make sure that my saw would be movable. With a small shop, floor space is at a premium and it only makes things difficult to admit that my floor is not at all level and even.

This system took care of both of those needs. The casters are well built and work well on the uneven floor. Plus, once you are done moving the unit, you flip it down onto it’s own feet right into your floors sweet-spot.

Two bits of advice:

First, you probably won’t match have matching holes in your shop for the casters. Just realize that and drill new holes. I used a step drill bit and drilled the holes into the saw’s legs. Worked well and quickly.

Second, take a realistic view of your saws legs. If you have an older Craftsman like I do or a base with no cross bracing within 6” of the floor, then you need to put some supports in. This is an easy and quick fix that will make the base more solid and make you more confident that it won’t suddenly fall out from underneath the saw. Don’t wait. Do it.

All in all, it is a good value. Woodcraft sells them for about $45-$50 so it is less expensive than many alternative bases. Plus, I doubt you could build a much better base for that (what with caster costing $15 a piece in some cases).

*I rewrote this during the day. The original was written after midnight…

-- He said wood...

View DannyBoy's profile

#1 posted 10-15-2009 01:19 AM

Good review thanks for the info

-- Custom furniture

View clieb91's profile

#2 posted 10-15-2009 03:07 AM

These types of casters are the ones that are attached to the bandsaw I just bought used. They work great. Glad to know now where they came from.

-- Chris L. "Don't Dream it, Be it."- (Purveyors of Portable Fun and Fidgets)

View poppychuck's profile

#3 posted 10-16-2009 12:23 AM

I have installed these on two steel leg sets-and they are excellent. Just make sure you release them with the toe of your shoe,

-- Chas F

View dustyal's profile

#4 posted 10-16-2009 02:05 AM

Thanks… didn’t even know they existed. I’ve been reviewing and scratching my head as to how to make portable any power tools I want to add.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

View UnionLabel's profile

#5 posted 10-16-2009 04:36 PM

I bought 2 sets of these last year. One set is on the shelf, the other is on my RAS. I love ‘em. They are great for my garage shop. But like poppychuck stated keep your hands away. These things can bite if you don’t use your shoe toe.

-- Methods are many,Principles are few.Methods change often,Principles never do.

View VanessaG's profile

#6 posted 10-27-2009 12:08 AM

Yes I have these too, they came on a second hand Craftsman Table saw I bought. I am having a little trouble adjusting them though, seems the spacing between the wheel and the floor is too tight so on some high places in my uneven floor, the actual leg drags.

View JKC's profile

#7 posted 11-25-2009 06:20 PM

From the photos, looks like they are specifically designed for contractor type saws with legs that splay out at an angle.

Will these retractable casters work on legs that are straight sided (i.e., perpendicular to the floor)?

View Cajunrotor's profile

#8 posted 02-12-2012 01:18 PM

I installed these same casters on my Ridgid jointer. As mentioned by the OP, I needed to drill holes for mounting, but that was no big deal and the installation was very straightforward. Makes it really easy to move the jointer around my garage as needed yet retract fully so the jointer sits on its own legs when in use.

If you do this, just be careful when moving it as it is a top-heavy machine and can be tilted over rather easily.

-- Earl