Great Router and a steal for the price

Review by teenagewoodworker posted 01-31-2008 11:53 PM 3205 views 0 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Router and a steal for the price No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

this router is amazing! it is my first router and i am thoroughly pleased. i purchased this router combo kit for 200 dollars at Lowe’s. most of the other combo kits that i saw anywhere else for around 200 dollars were only 1 1/4 hp but this has a great 2 1/4 hp and it cuts through any woods that at thrown at it with ease. it proved to be an especially helpful tool when recently i used a straight edge guide with this router to joint an 8 ft piece of mahogany so i could reference of of the straight edge and rip it on the table saw. the router performed great and didn’t bog down throughout the entire cut. remember though that no matter how much horse power your router has it won’t preform it’s best without quality router bits. my first bits were 6 craftsman bits that i got in a starter set for 19 bucks. i originally thought that my router was crap but after upgrading to Amana bits that are light years ahead of the craftsman bits i can see that this truly is a great router

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

View JGCW's profile

JGCW

#1 posted 02-01-2008 06:32 AM

Congrats on the router set.

I bought that kit this year and use it quite a bit for my cabinet business. I have a Porter Cable 690 set that I wasnt very happy with and the quality isnt even close to the DeWalt.

Enjoy!

-- http://www.jgcw.biz

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#2 posted 02-01-2008 10:44 AM

View dalec's profile

dalec

#3 posted 02-01-2008 05:14 PM

Seems any power tool can be limited by the bit or blade. Thanks for the info re: Amana bits.

Dalec

View Bill's profile

Bill

#4 posted 02-01-2008 06:56 PM

I bought the same kit last year, and it is a great machine. Nice to hear you are having success with it too.

-- Bill, Turlock California, http://www.brookswoodworks.com

View Rob McCune's profile

Rob McCune

#5 posted 02-02-2008 12:05 AM

Ummm …. yeah, don’t buy cheap router bits. Especially from a place called EDM
Wholesalers on eBay. Thanks for the review.

-- Rob McCune

View DustyDave's profile

DustyDave

#6 posted 02-12-2008 02:21 PM

Ditto,

I have the same kit. Love it. I use a Rockler/Jessem router lift in my router table, so I bought another DW618 motor to keep in it. No more switching. Very happy with raised panel doors as well.

-- Dave _-^-_ Baltimore, MD

View lclashley's profile

lclashley

#7 posted 02-20-2008 06:11 AM

I have this router as well and love it. I got it with in a 3 base kit though (fixed, plunge, & d-handle). I liked the d-handle more than I thought I would.

View irishhandyman's profile

irishhandyman

#8 posted 05-13-2008 12:08 AM

Thank you for the review. I have been looking for all the ‘real world’ reiews on this particular model. I have had a lot of luck with Dewalt power tools. The battery powered stuff is a different thing tho. Thanks for all the info. For what I can save on the router I might be able to afford some good bits. Thanks for the tip.

-- God bless the men and women who protect our counrty.

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19558 posts in 2538 days

#9 posted 05-13-2008 12:46 AM

Thanks for the review Teenage.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View WoodSpanker's profile

WoodSpanker

519 posts in 2079 days

#10 posted 02-18-2009 08:42 AM

I am, as usual, a little late to the party here, but if Dewalt still has this deal around, you probably just made up my mind for me. I’ve been wondering which router to buy, as my shop was recently burgled, and my 2 routers were absconded with. Thanks again! :)

-- Adventure? Heh! Excitement? Heh! A Woodworker craves not these things!

View Eric_S's profile

Eric_S

#11 posted 09-02-2009 07:51 PM

I just got this one a few weeks ago and love it. My last router was a Ryobi 1 3/4 HP fixed 1/4” collet. I upgraded to this one and its great. Much quieter than Ryobi’s, the soft start feature is a plus since I hated how the Ryobi would jerk whenever I started it. Also, I am happy to finally have some sort of dust collection in my router.

The only negative I can find for this one is the plunge base locking mechanism seems to be a little loose. I think I’m going to use the fixed base in the router table.

-- - Eric Indianapolis, IN

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#12 posted 09-02-2009 08:23 PM

this was my first router – also purchased from Lowe’s…. and was returned to lowe’s after 2 days, and replaced with the Bosch set for the same amount (with a straight edge as a bonus).

The reason I didn’t like the dewalt (and I was an ALL DEWALT TOOLS guy before) was the height adjustment ring on the fixed base is plastic – and it broke (snapped in half) the first time I tried to use it. just my personal choice – I try to avoid plastic parts as much as possible on HD tools.

I did like the soft handles on it, and the detachable power cord – although some dont like the 3 prong cables.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

#13 posted 09-02-2009 11:24 PM

Hey Teenage thanks for the review. (in case I need another router)

View lilredweldingrod's profile

lilredweldingrod

#14 posted 11-26-2009 10:28 PM

This DeWalt set is my first also.Very happy with it except they were to cheap to include the guide. Cost an extra 39 bucks plus frieght. Ditto on tje cheap S-S-S-S-S-S-S-Kmart bits.

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

#15 posted 11-26-2009 10:36 PM

Dennis, thanks for the reveiw!

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker