Good cabinet. A couple small mistakes

Review by jklingel posted 05-05-2017 05:25 PM 2289 views 1 time favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Good cabinet. A couple small mistakes No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Last year I bought Norm’s plans for his updated router cabinet and built it recently. Overall, it is a very nice cabinet, but there are a couple of small things I don’t think are right, or could be tweaked. You may want to keep them in mind when/if you use his plans. For one, the plans say to drill a 2” hole in the back of the cabinet for a 2” PVC exhaust pipe. You need a 2 3/8” hole for 2” pipe. Unfortunately, when I saw the mistake on the hole size it did not register to also cut the 1/2” plywood dust-funneling boards inside the cabinet to 2 3/8” high instead of the 2” on the plans. The second mistake is to make the 3 larger, storage drawers as per the plans. The plans call for the drawers to be 18” deep, but the smaller drawers above them are 22”. I had enough plywood left over to re-cut materials for the largest drawer, making it 22” deep. The other two could also be 22” deep. Another issue that frustrated me was the lack of a diagram for cutting the thinner plywood, especially the 1/2”. The 3/4” plywood pieces are all laid out on the 4×8 sheet from which you cut them; easy as pie. However, when you go to cut up all the little pieces of 1/2” the directions are all in words and it took me a while to figure out WTH to do, exactly. A simple layout like with the 3/4” ply would have been very welcome. Finally, and again pretty small, he uses a 2” PVC sanitary tee where the exhaust air splits to catch dust from the cabinet and from the router. I used a long-sweep tee wye fitting. I just started using the cabinet, and it is solid. If you have never used a router table before I suspect you will be quite pleased when you do. The ease and accuracy has thus far amazed me. NOTE: Yes, there are a variety of different woods in the cabinet, due to having made “a few” mistakes along the way and running out of plywood. So, I filled in with what I had around. Form follows function!

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#1 posted 05-06-2017 02:56 AM

Norm was my mentor back in ’92- Thank you Norm. Enjoy your table.

-- Desert_Woodworker

#2 posted 05-06-2017 05:38 AM

From what I’ve seen of Norm on the tube, he is one real craftsman. You can tell just watching how he works that he has done all this many, many times. Sorry to hear he retired, but sooner or later we all move on to something else. Yes, I will enjoy the cabinet. I am already glad I made it, having used it to finish the last pieces of its fence.

View GR8HUNTER's profile

GR8HUNTER

#3 posted 05-06-2017 03:56 PM

GREAT JOB :<))

-- Tony---- Reinholds,Pa.------ REMEMBER TO ALWAYS HAVE FUN

#4 posted 05-06-2017 04:11 PM

thnx. mistakes and learning happened, but it is very functional. j

View Just_Iain's profile

Just_Iain

#5 posted 05-08-2017 12:48 AM

Looks great and the mix of woods has it’s own story you can tell. I guess the new challenge will be see if you can come up with a use for that unused space left over from the short drawers.

-- For those about to die, remember your bicycle helmet!

#6 posted 05-08-2017 06:20 AM

Challenge met: I plan on installing a vertical, sliding shelf with a few saw blades hanging on it. Kidding, I think….

View pmayer's profile

pmayer

#7 posted 05-09-2017 02:29 PM

Outstanding build! Norm is still the man in my book.

-- PaulMayer, http://www.vernswoodgoods.com