Digital Protractor

Review by cstrang posted 1772 days ago 3229 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Average rating: 5.0
1 review total
Add my Review

Digital Protractor Digital Protractor Digital Protractor Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this protractor over the weekend when I went to Lee Valley in Halifax, NS. I paid $14.90 for it which isn’t a lot considering it is very helpful, if you need to find a angle, check an angle on a table saw, etc this is a great asset to have around the shop. It has a locking knob that locks the angle in place however this tends to throw it off a fraction of a degree, other than that it is working out great, I will just have to see how it stands up to the test of time.

-- A hammer dangling from a wall will bang and sound like work when the wind blows the right way.

View cstrang's profile

cstrang

Thanks for the review. I have been considering buying a digital protractor but just have not convinced myself to spend the money yet. This looks pretty good and the price is quite reasonable.

View a1Jim's profile (online now)

112008 posts in 2202 days

Thanks

View CanadaJeff's profile

CanadaJeff

I got this proctrator too. So far, for the price, its great.

The pros

The cost
A nice alternative to more expensive digital angle readers.
Nice tightening knob to lock in an angle
Rotates multiple times (i.e. you can measure past 360 if you needed too)

The cons

Made in China (so who knows how long it will last!)
Won’t fit easily to measure some tools angles (like my mitre saw)

View Ken Waller's profile

Ken Waller

I picked one up and I’m happy. Extremely sensitive (yah, like a woodturner needs to know angles to 2 decimal places:-) and the lock feature secures the arm in any position with no tendancy to move the arms as you tighten the lock. Mine is now in my tool chest waiting for the time when I need it. It sure looks purdy.

-- Ken in Sharbot Lake, Ontario

View Roger Gaborski's profile

Roger Gaborski

I ordered one from Lee Valley. Seemed well made, but mine didn’t work. Sent it back for a replacement.

-- Roger Gaborski, http://www.gaborski.com

View WoodyG's profile

WoodyG

I bought one and have used it a bunch this past week…it seems a little awkward but it is accurate. I tuned my cabinet saw, miter saw and set angles for hand cut dovetails…so not bad for getting a week ago today.
It may blow up tomorrow but it might not?

-- WoodyG

View miles125's profile

miles125

I’ve never found much need to know the numerical value of angles in woodworking. I’m a fan of just being able to repeat angles accurately from machine to machine and process to process.

-- "The way to make a small fortune in woodworking- start with a large one"

View SamS's profile

SamS

CanadaJeff: why in the world would you ever need to measure past 360 degrees?