Scorpion 12" Helical JOINTER/PLANER

Review by Andre posted 05-05-2017 06:50 AM 4179 views 1 time favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Scorpion 12" Helical JOINTER/PLANER No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Just a quick review to let state my personal opinion, anybody interested in the spec’s can look them up.
The basic’s are it is a 12” (Helical head made by Stinger) jointer planer combo machine that excels in the jointer department and really planes very acceptable, the conversion is a hassle. Procedure is easy and fast enough just a pain to switch the Dust Collection over. I do not use the planer function all that often so the gain in shop floor space more than makes up for it! I did run a lot of different woods of all shapes and sizes with no deficiencies detected.
Machine came set up to within my allowable specification so it scored some points there but the safety interlock switch on the table was not set and after no response from Dealer ( Canadian Woodworker in Edmonton) and no reply from Distributor I had to tear it apart to find the problem! ( After some ribbing from Kiefer yes it was plugged in. )
Also found some sort of guard/shield installed wrong and the feeder drive pulleys not installed, also forced me to install proper 220V plugs and receptacles!
In the end replacing 3 machines with 1 and clearing up some square footage made it all worthwhile, Going to miss my old Hitachi combo machine but with that new jointer 12” bed not for long. My other machines, the 6” Laguna Helical head planer was fantastic but always just a bit to narrow and my General table top planer was just too light and snippy for my likes.
As has been said many times get the best and biggest you can afford, in my case this Chinese knock off of the European machines at twice the cost will suffice nicely until I talk myself into the 16” version!

View RobS888's profile

RobS888

#1 posted 05-05-2017 04:02 PM

Looks like my jet. I think you will love it soon.

-- I always suspected many gun nuts were afraid of something, just never thought popcorn was on the list.

View Kaleb the Swede's profile

Kaleb the Swede

#2 posted 05-05-2017 04:32 PM

I’m super jealous. I am saving for something similar. For the small shop I think these are perfect. Thanks for the review. Had never heard of this company before. I’ll keep it in mind

-- Just trying to build something beautiful

#3 posted 05-05-2017 11:42 PM

Yes it does look a lot like the Jet. Do the halves of the jointer table move as one unit or are they independent? The Jet moves as one unit, and that speeds up changeover. Also, the fence doesn’t have to be removed (or even moved at all). Jet also has the Euro style guard, but I wish it had the pork chop style, like Grizzly does.

I dealt with the dust hose hassle by running the hose overhead, and with a lot of slack. This lets me do changeover without having to mess with the hose, except to loosen and rotate slightly to give a better run to the hose. The spring type hose clamp (Woodcraft or Rockler? can’t remember) makes that quick and easy.

Virtually all 240 v. machines come without plug. I assume that’s because there are several configurations, and they don’t know what you have. So I wouldn’t treat that as a negative against the machine.

If you happen to live in the PNW, check out the Seattle CL under “planer.” There is a Jet/Powermatic outlet store south of Seattle that has those quite often at a huge discount. Unfortunately, they don’t ship. It was a 2-plus hour drive for me, but I could live with that. By going through Seattle around mid day, I was able to sail through at 60 mph and no slowdowns. Can’t do that any other time of day.

I do love having all that width for jointing, but 12” planing capacity is pretty minimal. I have looked at a 16” combo machine (Grizzly had one a few years ago), but it would be kind of like trying to dock an aircraft carrier with all that acreage.

#4 posted 05-06-2017 12:50 AM

Exactly the same as the Jet, Kiefer sent me the parts list for the Jet and was the same as my Scorpion. It was glancing at the list he sent me that I noticed he safety switch which is hidden behind a cover and thus problem solved!
Have my D.C. hose mounted above the bed so switching is pretty easy not real impressed in the function though?
The plug was different than what I had been using in the shop because all my other machines were 110/220V and this one was 220V only, both blades horizontal, so had to change receptacle and plug on Table saw which shares the
plug, not a big deal and now safer as cannot plug in a 110v cord by accident. I already love this machine and can’t
believe the ability, function and finish of the carbide blades, and did I forget to mention how smooth and Quiet?

P.S. I am in Canada so there won’t be any cross border shopping trips planned for a while $$$$$
Sure glad I picked up some of my Grizzly stuff when Our dollar was higher.

#5 posted 05-06-2017 01:14 AM

I agree the helical heads are much quieter. I no longer have to fear the neighbors coming over with pitch forks and torches when I use it.

View RobS888's profile

RobS888

#6 posted 05-06-2017 03:16 AM

After 10 minutes with the euro guard I was hooked! It seems much safer to me. Spanning my hand across it seems natural now.

I never see the blade, except when I swing the cute over.

#7 posted 05-07-2017 01:54 AM

One more suggestion: Your jointer table appears to move as a single piece, like mine, rather than as 2 halves. I found the single lifting handle on the right to be a bit challenging (I am old and weak), so I ordered another handle from Jet and mounted it on the left. Very easy to do. Feels more secure when I go to lift or lower the jointer table.

View TheRiflesSpiral's profile

TheRiflesSpiral

#8 posted 05-12-2017 06:59 PM

Just looked up the price on this; very reasonable. It appears to be only a $400 premium over the Jet, which is what I was considering, but this has a spiral head instead of a 3-knife.

-- Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.

View molan's profile

molan

#9 posted 05-13-2017 01:23 AM

Is this the unit you got?

I am looking to get a good jointer as my next purchase and a combo unit does look appealing

View builtinbkyn's profile

builtinbkyn

1966 posts in 850 days

#10 posted 05-13-2017 01:45 AM

- TheRiflesSpiral

The Jet on Amazon is $3364 with free shipping. That’s for the spiral cutter head. How much is the Scorpion?

-- Bill, Yo!......in Brooklyn & Steel City :)

#11 posted 05-13-2017 02:26 AM

Is this the unit you got?

- molan

Yup, that’s the one. My last jointer was a Laguna with the Shear tech cutter head which I believe cut a little smoother but the Scorpion has a stinger head and being 12” works a little harder. Have been running some 7” to 8” Birch through it amazing finish! Tempted to sell off all my Hand Planes.HaHa.

#12 posted 05-13-2017 02:29 AM

- runswithscissors

Good idea, while I can still lift it with no problems I am getting close to the Big 6 oh so maybe in the not too distance future?

#13 posted 05-13-2017 03:10 AM

Lets me use both hands to lift it.

#14 posted 05-13-2017 03:19 AM

Today’s Seattle CL shows the Jet with helical head for $2300; appears to even have a rolling stand. That’s from the Jet/Powermatic outlet in Auburn, south of Seattle. I think I paid about 1700 or 1800 maybe 4 or 5 years ago.

If you think it’s worth the drive for you (to save over $1000) they will hold it for you, but you have to pay in full with a credit card to do that. That’s the way I did it. They loaded it onto my pickup with a forklift.

#15 posted 05-15-2017 01:41 AM

Forgot to mention that the Planner has a metal infeed roller, kind of funny to get used to as you have to force feed stock in but snipe is non existent, well if you try real hard you can cause some.