WEN 4225 Drill Press

Review by PPK posted 04-28-2017 04:25 PM 4758 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
WEN 4225 Drill Press WEN 4225 Drill Press WEN 4225 Drill Press Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought a new floor standing drill press. After doing my usual research, this seemed to be the best bang for my buck. So far, I’m very happy with the quality and features. It includes all the standard items you’d expect from a drill press, such as a depth stop, adjustable speeds, and a work light, 8 amp (about 2/3 or 3/4 HP) motor.

Some extra features that make this machine somewhat unique are:

-Variable speed without changing the belts. There’s a torque convertor that you turn with a handle on the left side. There’s two belt settings, one for low, and one for high. Low speed is variable by the handle from 280 rpm to about 1300 rpm. Second speed is from 1200 or so to 3200 rpm.

-Speed indicator display. There’s a little LED display on the front that shows the speed of the spindle. Only draw back is that it is always “ON” as long as the machine is plugged in. I may just put a switch on the power cord to remedy this. Otherwise, really handy!!

-Work light with LED bulb, included with the machine. Works very well. It did get a tiny bit smooshed in the shipping process, but I just have it a little squeeze and formed it back to round. Not a huge issue – and when that’s the extent of shipping damage, I feel pretty fortunate!

-Laser cross hairs. This shows where the bit will drill. It was aligned within about 1/32nd of an inch right out of the box. They are adjustable, so I zeroed it all the way, and it works very well. It is able to be switched off.

-Extra wide base. It won’t tip quite as easily as your standard narrow base.

Some other things I found:

-Watch out, the table had some sharp edges where the top was milled. I sanded them off – not a huge deal. The table is also not milled completely flat. I haven’t taken a feeler gauge to it, but I noticed a little light under my straight edge. I’m planning to build a solid wood table for it, so I don’t think it’s going to be an issue in the long run.

-The chuck is 5/8”, and seems really well made. It operates smoothly, and will grab really small bits.

-The quill depth is a full 4”. That’s longer than most. I don’t have any way to check runout, but it does seem pretty tight, and no discernible wobble.

-Overall fit and finish are not top of the line. But I didn’t expect that for the price ($500). Everything fits together well, however, and aside from the table being a tiny bit out of flat, it all seems square and true.

I’m giving this machine a solid 5 stars as compared to some of the other machines I’ve seen and used. They are less features for the same or more price.

View cmmyakman's profile

cmmyakman

#1 posted 04-28-2017 05:21 PM

I purchased the same Wen drill press a little over a year ago from Walmart. I didn’t like the drill press at first because I couldn’t figure out how to get to the low speed. Then I read in the instructions, that you had to change the belt, but I couldn’t see another pulley. It took a while, but the low speed pulley is “hidden” (at least it was for me) under the high speed pulley. Now that the drill press does low speed work, I love it. I installed a cart with wheels to move it around the shop and a Woodpecker drill press table. I agree with your assessment – you get a lot of drill press for your money.

-- You can't fail if you don't give up.

View runswithscissors's profile

runswithscissors

2750 posts in 2018 days

#2 posted 04-29-2017 03:16 AM

Runout is easy to check. Chuck a known straight rod in the chuck. Set up a dial indicator with a magnetic base on the table, with the tip of the dial indicator just touching the rod. Turn the chuck by hand, or at low speed under power, and watch the dial to see the amount of runout, if any. HF has inexpensive indicators that are plenty accurate for this test. The longer the rod, the more any runout will be amplified.

View BenDupre's profile

BenDupre

#3 posted 05-02-2017 01:31 AM

Love mine. Bought it direct from Great Lakes Technology at wholesale $300. Last year they were selling on craigslist of the dock in Elgin. They don’t do this any more. You can get WEN on Amazon, HomeDepot.com, and Walmart.com. They also sell direct at wenproducts.com, but usually higher than Amazon. If you buy direct you can sometimes find returns and refurbs cheaper.

-- The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred. – George Bernard Shaw

View Hawaiilad's profile

Hawaiilad

#4 posted 05-02-2017 05:03 AM

I am reading allot of good reviews on the WEN products. I tried to buy a planer from Amazon, but they would not ship it here to Hawaii and neither will the other stores.

-- Larry in Hawaii,

#5 posted 05-04-2017 04:20 PM

Hawaiilad,
Hmm, sorry to hear that. Is that (shipping) a problem with other brands/companies too?

View Hawaiilad's profile

Hawaiilad

#6 posted 05-04-2017 07:56 PM

Shipping is always a problem on large items. Most Companies just do not want to mess with the shipping of heavy items. We do have the Big Box stores but they don’t always carry what we want. I ended up buying a 3 cutter DeWalt planer instead that was being sold in the store here. Perhaps one of these days Wen products will be carried here.

-- Larry in Hawaii,

View dhazelton's profile

dhazelton

#7 posted 05-13-2017 02:28 PM

Whoever owns that name today is doing a decent job with it, especially for the little money some of the products cost. I bought the shop air filter for a bit over $100 with free shipping and am pleased with it.

View woodbutcherbynight's profile

woodbutcherbynight

#8 posted 05-29-2017 02:21 PM

- dhazelton

I have on as well. Works well a true hidden gem.

-- Live to tell the stories, they sound better that way.

View dbeck's profile

dbeck

#9 posted 06-03-2017 08:58 AM

No doubt you are spot on, whoever does own wenn is doing a heck of a job. Over the past year i have bought a bench sander, drill press( bench top 10in) and a belt sander. All work exactly as they should and do have a suprising number of extras for products that are dirt cheap. I am not saying fess tool people would want one but for us with no money hardly it allows us to get products we could never otherwise have like me i would never have a 10in bench press with extras,, no chance but for their prices i to can have these things.

View Annia Palmer's profile

Annia Palmer

#10 posted 12-26-2017 04:26 AM

This is my first drill press, but I am very happy. Setup was a breeze with no missing parts as others have experienced. The instructions weren’t perfect, but it was pretty easy to figure out how things went together. It is working very well for me.

1. Good drill press.
2. Chucks is cheap.
3. Recommend to upgrade to a better chuck for better performance.
4. Worth the money

-- Annia Palmer

#11 posted 12-27-2017 05:45 PM

This is my first drill press, but I am very happy. Setup was a breeze with no missing parts as others have experienced. The instructions weren t perfect, but it was pretty easy to figure out how things went together. It is working very well for me.

1. Good drill press.
2. Chucks is cheap.
3. Recommend to upgrade to a better chuck for better performance.
4. Worth the money

- Annia Palmer

You know, my initial thought was that the chuck was a good one, but now that I’ve got a few hours on the machine, I’m starting to change my mind. I think I may look into a new chuck…