Ryobi ONE+ 18-Volt 7-1/4 in. Miter Saw

Review by a1Jim posted 04-26-2017 11:02 PM 3224 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ryobi ONE+ 18-Volt 7-1/4 in. Miter Saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Yes I know RYOBI. The last Ryobi product I bought was 20+ years ago and have always thought of them as homeowner specials and not something a contractor of 30 years would use that has always tried to work with “Big Boy” tools.
So why did I try this out? I needed a lightweight miter saw to cut some trim in a remodel I’m working on and I didn’t want to keep dragging around my Bosch 12” sliding miter saw nor did I want to keep traveling back and forth to the Bosch either. I spotted this little guy on a fix it show and thought what the heck for $99 bare tool cost plus the $59 for the battery and charger I could always return it if I didn’t like it. The good thing is that it’s cordless, no cord to keep dragging around. Would I call this a powerful saw? NO. Is it powerful enough to cut a 2×4? Yes! .Would I cut 2×4’s all day with it? No way, all the trim I had to cut was 3” or smaller and it works great on all of that material but you need a spare battery(another $32) if you’re going to do a job that’s going to take more than a couple hours.
All and all It’s a good little saw for smaller work but I wouldn’t buy it for my only miter saw. I give it 5 stars.
If you want one it will take a lot of shopping around because they seemed to be out of stock most of the places I shop at, even many of the sellers on ebay.

It has lots of positives:

light weight
handy handle
it uses a standard circular saw 7 1/4 blades.
It has a bag for dust collection
It uses 18v Lithium Ion batteries
it has a laser
3-year limited warranty

Areas in need of improvement:
a little longer battery life
a 40 tooth saw blade instead of the 24 tooth it comes with

-- https://www.artisticwoodstudio.com/videos wood crafting & woodworking classes

View Roger's profile

20948 posts in 2949 days

#1 posted 04-26-2017 11:32 PM

Nice review for what looks to be a decent saw for trim material, like you said. Makes good sense to me.

View patcollins's profile

patcollins

#2 posted 04-27-2017 12:19 AM

I have used one of these to cut 1x before, it was a capable little saw. Ryobi does have a better grade of battery that lasts longer but costs more. I use one of their battery powered string trimmers at my moms to do the little bit of trimming she has. I really like that one+ battery system.

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

#3 posted 04-27-2017 01:54 AM

It is a good little saw Jim. I purchased one years back to do jobs for relatives. Like you, I got tired of carrying around the big miter saw. It was perfect for those jobs and I also had Ryobi batteries so it was a no brainer for me. I ended up giving it to my son when he bought his house. Now he loves it for his small projects around the house.

-- Dave, Downers Grove, Il. -------- When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams.

View steliart's profile

steliart

#4 posted 04-27-2017 08:21 AM

excellent solution for light work !!!!!!!!

-- Stelios L.A. Stavrinides: - I am not so rich to buy cheap tools, but... necessity is the mother of inventions !!!

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

#5 posted 04-27-2017 11:04 AM

goo.d review ..As we all get older, having a light alternative is a great idea for those smaller jobs

View oldrivers's profile

oldrivers

#6 posted 04-27-2017 11:22 AM

Thanks for the report, good review.

-- Soli Deo gloria!

View Cedar Furniture Lodge 's profile

Cedar Furniture Lodge

#7 posted 04-27-2017 03:10 PM

Wow that looks cool, would come in handy on job sights where power is a challenge.

-- "The Cedar King"

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

#8 posted 04-27-2017 05:08 PM

I have a 7.25in Craftsman sliding miter saw that I am am quite fond of. Its not cordless, but its definitely easier to carry around than a 10/12” saw, and is perfectly suitable for accurately cutting smaller stock. And there is a wide variety of affordable 7.25” saw blades.
I think a lot of woodworkers could get by with, and benefit from, a 7.25” miter saw. Cordless sounds even better.

View Fallon's profile

Fallon

#9 posted 04-28-2017 03:01 AM

I’ve got their little circular “skill” saw. Light little gutless toy. But it gets the job done well enough for light work up to 2x & plywood. I’ll grab it over my beefy corded Rigid for quick & dirty jobs hands down. I’m a huge fan of the Ryobi One+ battery ecosystem. Have a couple chargers in the house & a 6 port charger out in the shop with a pile of batteries scattered about. Generally their gear is mid range, but for 50% the price of a Dewalt or Makita you get 75% of the tool. Makes it easy to have a few drills around so you don’t need to switch out bits & always can rob a battery from another tool nearby if one dies on you.

View Blackie_'s profile

Blackie_

#10 posted 04-30-2017 05:51 PM

Good to Know Jim thanks.

Ryobi has a few tricks up it’s sleeve, I found one of those tricks that no other manufacture makes, Dewalt, Milwaukee, Bosch, Makita, you name it none of the major brands carry it and that is a corded electric drill that has both a variable speed and a speed clutch, they carry them in their cordless drills but not the corded drills.

-- Randy - If I'm not on LJ's then I'm making Saw Dust. Please feel free to visit my store location at http://www.facebook.com/randy.blackstock.custom.wood.designs