Wood River Parallel Clamps

Review by Straightpiped posted 1782 days ago 6276 views 0 times favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Wood River Parallel Clamps No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Picked up a couple of these clamps with the sale that Woodcraft is having. I have always had Harbor Freight and Jorgensen F style clamps. I knew that I was going to need some clamping power with a project that I am working on and these turned out perfect.

I bought the 40” model and they are great. Quality is excellent. I have used them a few times since I got them three days ago. They are able to hold as much pressure as I am able to give them. The cam handle is a little tricky at first but not a problem to figure out. I almost wish I wouldn’t have bought any, now I want more.

-- T. Nelson

View Straightpiped's profile

Straightpiped

I have been on the fence over these… The K bodies are a fantastic design, Might just have to add them to my arsenal…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

2566 posts in 2064 days

I also own a set. I find them really really really nice!

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View Marc5's profile

Marc5

304 posts in 1974 days

Thanks for the review. I have been looking to add a few clamps to my arsenal for my next project and will most likely be the 40”in your review.

-- Marc

View Tim Dahn's profile

Tim Dahn

I have always passed on these because the black plastic handle looks like a weak link to me. Can anyone compare these to the bessey’s?

-- Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement.

This is a nice review. I have looked at these but have gone with Bessys instead. I will have to give these a harder look the next time I am buying clamps.

I thought that these were made by Bessey for WoodCraft. I prefer the wooden handles that used to be on the K-Body clamps over these black plastic ones , but for the price difference , I might even be able to use the green ones. LOL….I haven’t compared the new JET clamps to these yet .

If the plastic handles are halfway as decent as the ones on my HF 36” bar clamps, they are fine… It is kind of hard to screw up what is effectively a plastic screwdriver handle anyway… Not impossible, but kind of hard to…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View ahock's profile

ahock

102 posts in 1956 days

I have a few as well, and I guess my view differs. I’d prefer to spend a few extra $’s on K-Body Revo’s and skip these. The cam is very finicky…I haven’t been able to get it to slowly release pressure more than half an inch. Maybe it’s just me…

-- Andy, PA ~Finding satisfaction in creation

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

5011 posts in 1940 days

The Jet clamps are the best I have used so far. I have other brands I have purchased in the past and now i will strictly buy jet. Check them out.

View michstairguy's profile

michstairguy

These are made by Bessey for Woodcraft. very good clamps but the new Bessey k-body revo clamps have addressed any issues the original k-bodys had

-- There is no growing in knowing where your going

View Straightpiped's profile

Straightpiped

This is all great feedback, but I did pick up the 40” for $30 a piece. Good clamp for the price.

-- T. Nelson

View GaryCN's profile

GaryCN

I have 4 of them and one will no longer tighten, I’ve only used them a few times. I plan to return it on my next trip to Woodcraft.

-- Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

View Marc5's profile

Marc5

304 posts in 1974 days

Bought 4 clamps while they were on sale at woodcraft and so far they seem to be O.K. I will let you guys know if I run into the same problem as GaryCN, hopefully not.

-- Marc

View Vincent Nocito's profile

Vincent Nocito

429 posts in 1996 days

I looked at them when they were introduced as k-body replacements. A real besseyis serrated in several edged to help the grip. The Woodriver clamp is only serrated on one surface and has less grip. I passed on them and stocked up on k-body clamps when then were on clearance. I would not recommend them as primary clamps in your arsenal. Look at either the Bessey revo or Jet clamps. They will serve you better in the long run.

View Philzoel's profile

Philzoel

i bought the $99 set. Now I am wondering. of 6 used 4 and when clamping with mouth toward bench, ie, handle down, it is very hard to get one of them to grip. gravity pulls handle open and it is hard to turn and hold up one one of these.

Is the set screw an adjustment??

-- Phil Zoeller louisville, KY