Powerful Disk Sander

Review by FatScratch posted 10-09-2009 05:57 PM 2967 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Powerful Disk Sander No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I received this disk sander about 9 months ago. I really didn’t think it was a necessary addition to my small hobbyist shop, but it was a gift. The buyer thought it would be a necessity for my hobby and I didn’t have the heart to exchange it. It has come in handy many times since I got it.

The sander was nicely packaged in a square box which was very difficult to get my hands around, coupled with the fact that this thing is very heavy. This sander weighs in at about 100lbs. It took practically no time to attach the table and remove the grease on the cast iron tabletop. This is my first and only tool by Jet and it is the quality I expected. The fit and finish are outstanding and this thing feels solid. Its cast iron construction does a lot to reduce the noise and vibration, while its 1hp motor seems difficult to bog down. The unit has a built in dust impeller, which helps push the fine particles out of the machine and through the 4 inch dust port on the right-hand side. I currently use a reducer and hook the unit to my Ridgid shop vac, which leaves very little dust accumulation. I’m sure a more powerful dust collector would result in very few particles escaping.

The unit has handled everything I have thrown at it with ease – did I mention this thing is powerful? It removes stock very quickly and efficiently. I have found it very useful for smoothing slight curves and squaring up small parts. I have yet to change the sanding disk that came on the unit, which I think is about 60 or 80 grit. The unit also has a manual brake for the disk, which is a nice safety feature to slow the wheel down when you are finished sanding. The miter gauge included is acceptable and the removable pivot point for sanding circles is a nice addition.

So far I am completely satisfied with this unit and don’t think I will ever need to replace it.

View FatScratch's profile

FatScratch

189 posts in 1988 days

View cstrang's profile

cstrang

#1 posted 10-09-2009 09:03 PM

Thanks for the review, sounds like a good buy or gift in your case, I personally don’t own any Jet equipment but when I have used it elsewhere in the past I have always been impressed.

-- A hammer dangling from a wall will bang and sound like work when the wind blows the right way.

#2 posted 10-10-2009 04:40 AM

Note: Direct Ship Item—Shipped directly from manufacturer
Must be shipped within 48 Continental United States A $45 surcharge will be added if delivered to a residential address A $35 lift gate fee will be added if a loading dock is not available
Estimated Delivery time: 10 business days.
15% restocking fee on all returned merchandise. Please call customer service before returning product.

Quantity Item Number Item Stock Status Price 708433 Jet JDS-12B: 12’’ Bench Disc Sander less DC There is an additional $95.00 shipping charge for this item. Direct Ship
Online Only $399.99 EA
Extra fees if you purchase from Rockler…..WoodCraft has some also , but not as much.
You received an excellent gift ! Congratulations : )

View CreekWoodworker's profile

CreekWoodworker

409 posts in 1984 days

#3 posted 10-10-2009 01:36 PM

Thanks, nice review. I’ve been thinking about getting a disk sander.

-- Mike ...Success is often the result of taking a misstep in the right direction

View FatScratch's profile

FatScratch

189 posts in 1988 days

#4 posted 10-10-2009 04:59 PM

Dusty, Mine was ordered through my local Woodcraft and shipped to the store, where I picked it up. I know there were no additional fees on top of the listed retail price going this route. That is good information for everyone to know though.

#5 posted 10-10-2009 05:21 PM

I couldn’t believe how many extra charges that Rockler had added onto the base price of the unit !! It makes you wonder who would buy it from them….WoodCraft has treated me very well since they came to Western Massachusetts and I shop there every chance that I get too.Their staff members are quite knowledgeable and have never let me down : )
Again , you’re quite lucky to have received such a wonderful gift !

View Splinterman's profile

Splinterman

23058 posts in 2047 days

#6 posted 10-11-2009 04:07 AM

Sweet sander and good review.

#7 posted 10-11-2009 05:43 AM

This is a great sander I really like mine

View stefang's profile (online now)

stefang

13253 posts in 2020 days

#8 posted 10-14-2009 09:02 PM

That looks like a really good sander. I just recently bought a woodcraft 12” one hp sander, and experienced the same as you in that the extra power really makes a difference. I’m sure yours has better dust removal system than mine, but I cut a vacuum adapter to fit my 4” hose to it and it seems to work very well. Like you, I am finding a lot of different uses for it already.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View Mike Pientka's profile

Mike Pientka

#9 posted 12-12-2009 11:10 PM

A thorough review. Thanks

-- Engineer by day, Woodworker by night, Original Approach LLC, Windsor CO, www.original-approach.com