Good and fast

Review by DannyBoy posted 10-06-2009 04:05 PM 1589 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Good and fast No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I picked up the 5-piece set of these from Lowes yesterday to drill holes to run wires through floor joists. I’ll be comparing these to the last ones I had which came in a catch-all bit kit I got for Christmas years ago (they sucked).

The bits bored fast. I mean really fast. I’m not sure what difference in the design that makes them bore so quickly, but it definitely made the difference. I used the 5/8” to bore through the joists at a slight angle (since I didn’t have a 90* drill). Holes went through relatively clean with a little tear out on the back end. I’m sure if I clamped a sacrificial scrap on the other side, it would have been clean through.

There was a little bump about halfway through one joist as my hand slipped a little on the drill. But that was my fault and not the bit. The bit kept going through despite the bump.

I’ll probably never give up my forstners, but for $8 I’d say these are a good deal to add to the shop.
~DB

-- He said wood...http://hickbyassociation.blogspot.com/

View DannyBoy's profile

DannyBoy

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

#1 posted 10-06-2009 04:22 PM

Had those in my sights, so … thanks very much for the info!

-- -- Neil

View HokieMojo's profile

HokieMojo

#2 posted 10-06-2009 07:44 PM

i like these bits too.

5386 posts in 1928 days

#3 posted 10-06-2009 10:42 PM

Got the SpeedBor Max bits. The cut in crazy fast… Had a set of the original SpeedBor bits that I wore out. I like the regular SpeedBor bits better… Easier to control…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

2240 posts in 1966 days

#4 posted 10-06-2009 10:50 PM

Nice to hear….sometimes using a forstner is just not possible….or to use a very good set to cut holes in pitch laden pine is not what you want to do…I’ll have to look out for that set…Thanks for the info.

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!