Good luck finding one

Review by CutNRun posted 2374 days ago 3781 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Good luck finding one Good luck finding one Good luck finding one Click the pictures to enlarge them

I saw the review of a refurbished jointer and wanted to post a review on a unique table saw. The Hammond Glider saws were originally designed to cut lead type for printing presses. They are a very precise, sliding table saw with accessories designed to easily and accurately position very small pieces for cutting. I purchased mine for $50.00 on Craigs List and this included a very strong 1 HP motor. When I picked up the saw, the table was a solid sheet of rust. However, the table still slid well and most all the parts were there.
Photobucket
The table includes a lead screw that can be used to move a positioning square laterally. This makes cutting mutiple pieces the same length a snap. Surprisingly, there is enough travel to cross-cut a 20” wide board.
Photobucket
As you can see, the top wasn’t in great shape. The arbor runs in securely mounted bearings, with a through bolt that attaches a blade mounting holder. I modified a 7 1/4” WoodWorker II blade for use on the saw and it has worked wonderfully.
Photobucket
The saw is very heavy for it’s size, weighing over 350 lb. This naturally makes it very stable to use. The fixtures that serve to clamp small pieces also make the saw quite safe to use. You can clamp small pieces and slide the table; never getting your hands near the blade. In fact, I helped my 10 year-old daughter with a school project recently and she used the saw to cut multiple small blocks for making some Jacob’s Ladders. She promptly anounced this was her favorite tool in the shop. I like it myself and would give it five stars except for the fact that they haven’t been made for several decades. I will try to post more photos of the refurbished saw later.

-- CutNRun - So much wood, so many trails, so little time

View CutNRun's profile

CutNRun

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

Great find and thanks for sharing it with us.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

View SPalm's profile

SPalm

That is sweet. Seems like a steal of a deal.

-- -- I'm no rocket surgeon

View Dominic Vanacora's profile

Dominic Vanacora

How sweet it isssss.

-- Dominic, Trinity, Florida...Lets be safe out there.

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

Nice!

View Dan'um Style's profile

Dan'um Style

good posting. will keep my eyes open for one of these too.

-- keeping myself entertained ... Humor and fun lubricate the brain

View dennis mitchell's profile

dennis mitchell

cool!

View Blake's profile

Blake

Oh man, I LOVE cool old machinery like this! Thanks for posting.

-- Happy woodworking! http://www.openarmsphotography.com

View msweet's profile

msweet

I have a Hammond Glider Trimosaw Model G4B for sale if anyone is interested!! It is in Ohio and in good condition.

View Grumpy's profile (online now)

Grumpy

19334 posts in 2457 days

Good One.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View Damian Penney's profile

Damian Penney

http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/auction/view?auc=363390 One for sale by UC Berkeley if anyone is interested.

-- I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

112002 posts in 2183 days

Very unique saw look forward to more photos